VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The lenghts men will get to get.. an old computer working..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 22 of 23, by Hofnik121

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hofnik121 wrote:

I had the same problem. The solution is to use ms dos and not free dos. I used md dos 6.22 and windows se

Try using ms dos 6.22
Then put windos 98 se on the same (or a different) usb stick
Go to the folder with windows 98 se Installation inside
Type: setup /is /nm
(Nm so the setup doesent crash because of the 16 mb nimimum ram and /is to spare ur time)

At this point there are 2 ways:
1. (If you have 512mb or below ram): enoj windows 98
2.(of you have more than 512 mb ram): put zhe usb in a system with modern windows installed and go in the "windows" folder. Search for the "system.ini" file and go to the "386Enh" and add the line "MaxPhysPage=30000" anywhere in that column. Done. Hope it helps

Reply 23 of 23, by Hofnik121

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hofnik121 wrote:
Try using ms dos 6.22 Then put windos 98 se on the same (or a different) usb stick Go to the folder with windows 98 se Installat […]
Show full quote
Hofnik121 wrote:

I had the same problem. The solution is to use ms dos and not free dos. I used md dos 6.22 and windows se

Try using ms dos 6.22
Then put windos 98 se on the same (or a different) usb stick
Go to the folder with windows 98 se Installation inside
Type: setup /is /nm
(Nm so the setup doesent crash because of the 16 mb nimimum ram and /is to spare ur time)

At this point there are 2 ways:
1. (If you have 512mb or below ram): enoj windows 98
2.(of you have more than 512 mb ram): put zhe usb in a system with modern windows installed and go in the "windows" folder. Search for the "system.ini" file and go to the "386Enh" and add the line "MaxPhysPage=30000" anywhere in that column. Done. Hope it helps

I forgot to mention to edit the "system.ini" file. Everything I mentioned after that you have to edit that in the system.ini file with notepad or something