VOGONS

First post, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently acquired an HP CD-Writer 9300 series CD burner drive, and decided to throw it into my Windows 98 PC (one that has gone through many changes recently, this being one of those), and while the CD reading function works great, Windows 98 SE obviously doesn't have CD burning support. The problem I'm currently having is that for some reason, no versions of Nero burning ROM will support this drive. Pre-2000 or post-2000, it doesn't matter- I really don't like how Nero only supports specific drives, and that those "supported drive," lists are actually quite small.

The only other options I believe I have require me to go past 2000, which makes me uncomfortable in the first place, but to add insult to injury, most of them actually seem to have been released in 2005 or later. While I don't need this machine to burn CDs, having a functionality in a PC and not using it or not being able to use it hits a small nerve in the back of my head for some reason. If the hardware can do it, I always get software to support it so that the PC is fully set up, rather than missing one feature or another.

Also, why would Nero from 2001 not support a drive made in 2000? Or Nero from 2002? Because neither of those versions seem to- I've now given the Nero development team roughly a year and a half to support this drive made in September of 2000, and by 2002 they still didn't code in support for it.

Where am I?

Reply 2 of 8, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Why Nero? What's wrong with Imgburn or Infrarecorder?

I guess I don't have much else of a choice but to use Imgburn. Nero was the only pre-2000 software I could find available online, which is why I was trying to use it. Just the whole "why is 2006/2006 software on a PC from 1999," sort of deal.

The computer I'm putting this on is mismatched enough at this point to where I don't know how much it matters. A Pentium III 600E with a Gateway Tabor III, an HP CD-Writer from September 2000, an HDD from 1998, a sound card from 2001 or 2002, etc. Time-accuracy is essentially out of the window at this point, so I couldn't tell you why I started worrying about it in the first place.

I've also never heard of Infrarecorder until now. I've mainly used Imgburn for the past few years now.

Where am I?

Reply 3 of 8, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I’d use Nero 4.x or 5.x, but not any later version. EasyCD Creator should work, too.

I don't remember if they are capable of making UDF disks, but not have all the functions needed.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 8, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used WinOnCD 3.x back when I had Win95/98. You need the retail version however, as the OEM version also only supports certain drives. Your version of Nero is probably OEM, too. My first cd burner from Yamaha (1997) even came with a separate floppy disk containing the MMC driver required for these burning programs to work.

Reply 5 of 8, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
athlon-power wrote:

The problem I'm currently having is that for some reason, no versions of Nero burning ROM will support this drive. Pre-2000 or post-2000, it doesn't matter- I really don't like how Nero only supports specific drives, and that those "supported drive," lists are actually quite small.

That's very strange; I don't recall I ever encountered a drive that Nero did not support, and I've been using Nero exclusively on my Win98 system, because it came boxed with my first ever CD Recorder. Then again, free options like ImgBurn probably have their own advantages, especially if you are not into the other parts of the Nero suite.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys