VOGONS

First post, by egbertjan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have installed the CD version of The Sims 2 on my old Windows 98 Se PC. If I want to start it, it immediately gets stuck on a black screen. At that black screen, it should start with the intro video of ea. Under Windows XP he does it on the same PC. The System Requirements also state that he must be able to do it under Windows 98 SE

This is in my PC

Pentium 3 1400mhz
Video card: Geforce ti 4600 128mb
Memory: 512 MB Memory
Motherboard: Shuttle AV18
Adaptec 29160N SCIS
HDD: ST373455LC
Sound card: Creative soundblaster live 1024

I have Nvidia driver version 45.23 on it. Newer versions unfortunately did not help either. if I put a newer version on it then Anno 1602 and road rash no longer work.

I would like to be able to play this under Windows 98se, because I play more old games on it that do not work well on newer Windows versions than Windows 98 SE. Who knows what goes wrong here?

Reply 1 of 2, by egbertjan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If I install Unofficially: Windows 98 SE Service Pack 2.0.3 NL, the Sims 2 will work under Windows 98 SE. I think there is something in that update that is not standard in Windows 98SE or something needs to be updated, but what? I want it Unofficially: Windows 98 SE Service Pack 2.0.3 NL does not have it. It makes my PC unstable and does not let some things work properly

Reply 2 of 2, by Revolter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

egbertjan, I just saw your another thread where you mention using Dutch Windows 98 edition - that might be the culprit: Sims 2 creates a subfolder in "My Documents" for cache or similar purposes (it immediately grows to 250+ megs in size upon first startup). The problem may occur if your "My Documents" folder is called otherwise.

Try renaming it to "My Documents", reboot and run the game again: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r4804241-Win … ocuments-Folder

There are other games that struggle with localized document folders anyway - Eschalon: Book I, for example.

Celeron 800, 512MB, GeForce2 MX, ES1938S/DB S2, Windows ME/DOS 6.22