VOGONS

First post, by SpectreVR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After fighting with all sorts of partition resize tools and re-imaging my Win98 install (I was smart and made backups using Win32DiskImager) I finally found a way to resize the partition without any corruption!

I used an old version of gparted and it just worked! No need for "fdisk /mbr" or "sys c:"! I just rebooted and there it was! I also did a ScanDisk to verify it was all working and it seems to be good.

gparted-livecd-0.3.4-11 from https://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/file … gparted-livecd/

Reply 1 of 7, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SpectreVR wrote:

After fighting with all sorts of partition resize tools and re-imaging my Win98 install (I was smart and made backups using Win32DiskImager) I finally found a way to resize the partition without any corruption!

I used an old version of gparted and it just worked! No need for "fdisk /mbr" or "sys c:"! I just rebooted and there it was! I also did a ScanDisk to verify it was all working and it seems to be good.

gparted-livecd-0.3.4-11 from https://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/file … gparted-livecd/

I went through that journey too awhile back. Likewise, you need an old version of Clonezilla to image a Win9x drive and successfully restore it. I can't remember the version off the top of my head, but if you search my posts, you should come across it.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 7, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On smaller drives I use Partition Magic. Good for changing partition types like fat16 to hpfs, fat16 to ntfs and more. Seems period correct and "retro" for some strange reason.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 3 of 7, by MrSmiley381

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Rad. I've run into issues like this before so having a reference version for a case like this is always helpful. Does this version still requires a CPU with a Pentium Pro or better instruction set? I've tried to use GParted on a Pentium MMX before and needless to say I was a tiny bit heartbroken.

On a related note, is there any way to have an unformatted chunk of hard drive space on a 98SE machine and not have it panic when it runs ScanDisk? If I have have a 96 gigabyte partition and a chunk of hard drive space unformatted, the error message is just something about an unreadable partition. I doubt it hurts very much but it's still annoying.

I spend my days fighting with clunky software so I can afford to spend my evenings fighting with clunky hardware.

Reply 4 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SpectreVR wrote:

Good to hear it worked. Reminds of an old link about GParted 0.9x..
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/46 … FAT16-and-FAt32

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 7, by andreszs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote on 2019-10-14, 19:43:

On smaller drives I use Partition Magic. Good for changing partition types like fat16 to hpfs, fat16 to ntfs and more. Seems period correct and "retro" for some strange reason.

Unfortunately it does not work when it comes to resizing partitions. The Powerquest Norton Partition Magic 8 shows all the steps to resize the partition, and then it kindly asks to restart in MS-DOS mode to perform the resizing. However, upon restarting, I simply get a message about continuing in MS-DOS mode or returning to Windows. No resize is ever performed. Any ideas why? It seems strange that Norton purchased this software just to neglect and abandon it forever.

norton-partition-magic.png

This is Windows 98 SE, I simply changed the colors and fonts to resemble Windows 2000 because I can.

Reply 6 of 7, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i think gparted prior to v0.8 is safe for resizing fat32 non-destructively (parted library crippled fat support subsequent). 0.8.x versions may work as well, but for sure earlier. don't forget to enable the lba flag for fat32 partitions on large drives or scandisk will complain.

Reply 7 of 7, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
andreszs wrote on 2023-03-30, 21:17:
Unfortunately it does not work when it comes to resizing partitions. The Powerquest Norton Partition Magic 8 shows all the steps […]
Show full quote
Caluser2000 wrote on 2019-10-14, 19:43:

Unfortunately it does not work when it comes to resizing partitions. The Powerquest Norton Partition Magic 8 shows all the steps to resize the partition, and then it kindly asks to restart in MS-DOS mode to perform the resizing. However, upon restarting, I simply get a message about continuing in MS-DOS mode or returning to Windows. No resize is ever performed. Any ideas why? It seems strange that Norton purchased this software just to neglect and abandon it forever.

norton-partition-magic.png

This is Windows 98 SE, I simply changed the colors and fonts to resemble Windows 2000 because I can.

you should of just luanched pqmagic from pure dos by typing the exe or from a boot disk like normal. make sure to load a mouse driver although its not needed.