VOGONS

First post, by Badscrew

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

I'm thinking at creating a central home file share that could be used by my new AND old computers.
What would be a recommended architecture?
Preferably based on Linux, is there a Samba version that could be used to create a share usable by all the machines from W95 (or why not even W3.11?) to W10?

Reply 3 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Currently Samba supports SMB1 but that might get removed in the future. Works for now though. Just make sure to add the config settings to enable since by default this seems to be getting disabled.

If using a firewall then for 9x restrict IP address and port 139. If <2000 then port 445

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 8, by Badscrew

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cool.
I have a compact mini PC, MSI Cubi, based on intel Broadwell CPU that I would like to re-purpose (it was my son's personal PC that we've replaced this year by an i5 notebook for his high school). It will be an ideal choice for this, having both M.2 SSD AND internal 2.5" bay and USB3 ports for external storage ...

Last edited by Badscrew on 2019-10-16, 13:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 8, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would recommend FTP or SFTP instead of SMB1. Having a NAS or any other system connected to a LAN with internet access and the SMB1 service running is just like playing Russian roulette with all your data. SMB1 is unsafe and no one should keep using it.

Reply 7 of 8, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's nothing wrong with having insecure versions of SMB running in a confined network island with a trusted user base. It shouldn't be used in a more unrestricted environment.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 8, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another vote for smb1, which can also be enabled in windows 10 still (although in my experience networking anything with windows 10 is a practice in the fine art of luck).

Windows 7 will happily share with any dos machine and so will any linux distro running samba.

Its easy and cheap to build a pfsense running firewall to quarantine any machines with "important data" if you're worried about using smb1... just dont let the kids browse the net and then go paying bills on your socket 7 rig eh?

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?