VOGONS

First post, by uematsufreak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Pentium MMX 233 machine downclocked to 120 and have installed a ReelMagic Lite ISA card alongside an SB16. The only video card I have that I can get to function properly with this card is my S3 ViRGE, so I'm using it for now. The game runs fine (other than some bad vertical banding) until I get to the Dwarven Mines where when I should be deposited to the Ancient Ruins, the game just locks up. I tried playing the game over from the start real quick using the speedrun route instead and I'm getting the same problem.

I guess my question here is for anyone else with experience with the ReelMagic version of this game: is this just a legit issue with the game in that this version is unbeatable or is this likely to be an issue in my box? If anyone has any ideas at all, I'd appreciate it.

Reply 1 of 2, by kalm_traveler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
uematsufreak wrote:

I have a Pentium MMX 233 machine downclocked to 120 and have installed a ReelMagic Lite ISA card alongside an SB16. The only video card I have that I can get to function properly with this card is my S3 ViRGE, so I'm using it for now. The game runs fine (other than some bad vertical banding) until I get to the Dwarven Mines where when I should be deposited to the Ancient Ruins, the game just locks up. I tried playing the game over from the start real quick using the speedrun route instead and I'm getting the same problem.

I guess my question here is for anyone else with experience with the ReelMagic version of this game: is this just a legit issue with the game in that this version is unbeatable or is this likely to be an issue in my box? If anyone has any ideas at all, I'd appreciate it.

I'm unfamiliar with this version of the game. How does one find it? I've only ever seen and owned the normal CD-ROM and 3.5" floppy disk versions but never experienced freezing at any point on any hardware or VM

Retro: Win2k/98SE - P3 1.13ghz, 512mb PC133 SDRAM, Quadro4 980XGL, Aureal Vortex 2
modern:i9 10980XE, 64gb DDR4, 2x Titan RTX | i9 9900KS, 32gb DDR4, RTX 2080 Ti | '19 Razer Blade Pro

Reply 2 of 2, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IIRC, if you are using the Feature Connector cable to connect your VGA card to your Reelmagic MPEG card (which gives the best image quality), then not many VGA cards work correctly, especially PCI cards. I don't recall S3 cards being particularly good. Cirrus Logic cards were the most compatible from my tests with PCI cards (not the latest chipsets though).