VOGONS

First post, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just learned that I need to copy the contents of Win95 folder located on the install CD, to another drive, and run the SETUP.EXE from there (instead of the SETUP.EXE found on the actual CD), this eliminates the error message reported here (and witnessed by me, on both OSR 2.1, and OSR 2.5)

https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=37919

and

https://forum.winworldpc.com/discussion/7366/ … -cd-rom-problem

"While detecting plug and play devices, an error pops up saying 'Please insert the disk labelled 'Windows 95 Disk4', and then click OK'."

Reason given for this behavior:
The Windows 95 setup assumes you are either upgrading an existing, fully functional, MS-DOS/Windows 3.1 install or that your are an OEM that already has everything pre-loaded.

As such, if you run the setup from the CD-ROM using just a boot disk, it may fall on it's face during the second stage because it can no longer find the CD-ROM drive.

The simple way around that is to just copy the files from the CD-ROM setup folder to a folder on the hard drive. On real hardware that would also go insanely faster.

Suggested Solutions:
Copy the files from the cd to the hard drive then start setup from the hard drive always works best.

The simple way around that is to just copy the files from the CD-ROM setup folder to a folder on the hard drive. On real hardware that would also go insanely faster.

Just so you know it's the directory/folder labeled Win95 is all that is needed from the CD.

The concern that I have is the following:
The Win95 folder of the OSR 2.1 contains about 57 files, whereas the OSR 2.5, contains 217, additionally, on OSR 2.1 there are numerous folders (one is called Drivers), same with OSR 2.5, however, it is suggested that we *only* copy the contents of Win95 folder to another drive, for the proper installation.

Now, I happen to like the OSR 2.1 better (didn't care for IE 4.0 and the "Web" interface of explorer on OSR 2.5), but I need to confirm if I installed Win95 OSR 2.1 correctly (again, by copying the contents of its Win95 folder to my secondary drive, and running the SETUP.EXE from there.)

I just wonder why the OSR 2.5 has far more files in its Win95 folder, than its OSR 2.1 counterpart.

Also, the link above is about the OSR 2.5, I wonder if it applies to OSR 2.1 as well?

Thanks!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 1 of 6, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sounds like it could possibly picking up that the drive you are installing on is formatted and has sys file so can boot directly to it on boot up. Any files directories on the c: drive with win.* or windows or similar, even on your D:\ drive? Been a whiles since I've needed to install Win9x but it could picky at times on fresh installs. What media were the installation routine files from? Generic OEM? Also there were ways around avoiding IE insallation in OSR 2.5 from a very fading memory. I'd also include the DRIVER folder on the same media you were doing the install from just in case for some strange reason the CDRom doesn't get detected. Rare but can and has happened.

Afew more details about your hardware setup would be usefull as well.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 6, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, here is my setup:

- PIII-800E
- Abit BH-6
- 256MB SD-RAM PC100
- AWE64 Gold
- Sound Canvas 55 MKII
- SoftMPU
- Windows 98SE (but I am using PhilComputerLabs', *pure* DOS option to play the launch the game from a DOS prompt)

Well, both of my drives are CF cards (2GB for C:\ and another 32GB for D:\)

The thing is, that I just finished installing Win95 OSR 2.1 (by just copying the files inside its Win95 folder, and nothing else, no sub-directories that is), and not only I did not encounter that error message looking for the disk, the install seem be healthy, and I just finished installing all drivers and everything)

I wonder if that Drivers folder for some additional plug-n-play devices that the Setup asks to detect in the early stages of install?

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 3 of 6, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cool. Yeah I'd imagine that is exactly what the Drivers file is for. Anyway congrats on getting the installation soted. Some usefull tools here which may be of use in future http://toastytech.com/files/index.html

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 4 of 6, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great! Thanks for the link!

Reply 5 of 6, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
C0deHunter wrote:
I just learned that I need to copy the contents of Win95 folder located on the install CD, to another drive, and run the SETUP.E […]
Show full quote

I just learned that I need to copy the contents of Win95 folder located on the install CD, to another drive, and run the SETUP.EXE from there (instead of the SETUP.EXE found on the actual CD), this eliminates the error message reported here (and witnessed by me, on both OSR 2.1, and OSR 2.5)

I just wonder why the OSR 2.5 has far more files in its Win95 folder, than its OSR 2.1 counterpart.

Also, the link above is about the OSR 2.5, I wonder if it applies to OSR 2.1 as well?

Thanks!

Most of the extra files for OSR2, OSR2.1 or OSR2.5 are for Internet Explorer, external advertising and the IE-desktop extension and are completely unnecessary.
One of the earlier replies already linked Nathan's page, but I'll give you a more direct link below:
http://toastytech.com/evil/lab.html#rem95

Here he lists all the files that are in fact unnecessary, if you modify for installation without IE. Just remember that if you remove the files, you need to modify the .inf-files according to the instructions to not run into issues during the installation.

You pretty much only need the X:\WIN95 directory minus the aforementioned files. Maybe with the exception of the USBSUPP.EXE and the USBUPD packages.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 6 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leonardo wrote:

One of the earlier replies already linked Nathan's page, but I'll give you a more direct link below:
http://toastytech.com/evil/lab.html#rem95

Here he lists all the files that are in fact unnecessary, if you modify for installation without IE. Just remember that if you remove the files, you need to modify the .inf-files according to the instructions to not run into issues during the installation.

That's a good list! will check out my Win95 folder on the HDD (much nicer way of installing windows) Although if your just wanting to skip installing IE in OSR 2.5 simply removing the IE cab files is enough, and if you are installing from CD removing it during the first boot is enough to skip the install. It will ask for the CD once the desktop loads but just hit cancel

And yes it's just the Win95 folder your after, Everything else will be out of date or bloat (excluding the weezer avi of course!)