VOGONS

First post, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I understand that both versions do not have any *in-game* music (besides the intro and the ending), but I can't find any "setup" file in the game directory that enables Tandy 3-voice.

How do I achieve this?

Thanks!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 2 of 24, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, thanks! Is there an "un-mofied" (unplayed, an image created purely off of the floppy diskettes) on the web? The ones that I have, are the versions that have saved files or preferences in them.

Thanks!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 4 of 24, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you try the patched exe from oldskool.org?

ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/TandySoundPatches/ … /LUCAS/MANIACM/

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 5 of 24, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
root42 wrote:

Did you try the patched exe from oldskool.org?

ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/TandySoundPatches/ … /LUCAS/MANIACM/

No, I have not! What does this patch do?

Reply 6 of 24, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Runs Maniac with EGA graphics and Tandy sound on any PC with a Tandy soundcard on 0C0h.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 7 of 24, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
root42 wrote:

Runs Maniac with EGA graphics and Tandy sound on any PC with a Tandy soundcard on 0C0h.

I see. Well, unfortunately I have an AWE64 GOLD.

But, just out of curiosity:

I copied MODIAC.EXE and MANIACTE.EXE into my game folder:

When I run MODIAC.EXE, I see the EGA graphics, but no music/sound. The MANIACTE.EXE hangs my system (black screen)

I am using SetMUL L2D to reduce the speed of my PIII system.

Reply 8 of 24, by Akuma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Start the game, in the selection screen you can
switch to tandy mode by pressing SHIFT+T then save it by SHIFT+W
Then start you game with: MANIAC P next time around.

Or

1. Create a new folder, copy original files there.
2. Start maniac.exe
3. Press "SHIFT+W" in the kid selection screen, it will say preferences saved.
4. Edit the PREFS file to what you want.
5. Make a batch file called maniac.bat

@MANIAC.EXE P

6. Start MANIAC.BAT

Good luck!

Reply 9 of 24, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

By command line parameters or by creating a prefs file. "maniac tandy" e.g. starts the game in Tandy mode.

Note however that the game can not use Tandy sound with non-Tandy graphics.

Interesting, is there a specific reason as to why the Tandy Sound mode is linked to the Tandy Graphics mode?

Reply 10 of 24, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Akuma wrote:
Start the game, in the selection screen you can switch to tandy mode by pressing SHIFT+T then save it by SHIFT+W Then start you […]
Show full quote

Start the game, in the selection screen you can
switch to tandy mode by pressing SHIFT+T then save it by SHIFT+W
Then start you game with: MANIAC P next time around.

Or

1. Create a new folder, copy original files there.
2. Start maniac.exe
3. Press "SHIFT+W" in the kid selection screen, it will say preferences saved.
4. Edit the PREFS file to what you want.
5. Make a batch file called maniac.bat

@MANIAC.EXE P

6. Start MANIAC.BAT

Good luck!

I have an 1988 version of the game, and my only *functional* options in the game are:
SHIFT V = MCGA Mode
SHIFT E- EGA Mode
SHIFT C = CGA mode
SHIFT B= CGA Black and White mode

When I press SHIFT T, nothing happens, same with SHIFT H (for Hercules)

Interestingly, on a 1987 version of the game, non of these keys work at all! (except Alt-X, which quits the game!).

Thanks!

Reply 11 of 24, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jaZz_KCS wrote:
derSammler wrote:

By command line parameters or by creating a prefs file. "maniac tandy" e.g. starts the game in Tandy mode.

Note however that the game can not use Tandy sound with non-Tandy graphics.

Interesting, is there a specific reason as to why the Tandy Sound mode is linked to the Tandy Graphics mode?

Back in the day only PC Jr and Tandy machines had the 3 Voice sound. They also had the (originally PCJr) Tandy graphics mode (320x200x16). So it made sense to couple the two together.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 12 of 24, by Akuma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
C0deHunter wrote:
I have an 1988 version of the game, and my only *functional* options in the game are: SHIFT V = MCGA Mode SHIFT E- EGA Mode SHIF […]
Show full quote

I have an 1988 version of the game, and my only *functional* options in the game are:
SHIFT V = MCGA Mode
SHIFT E- EGA Mode
SHIFT C = CGA mode
SHIFT B= CGA Black and White mode

When I press SHIFT T, nothing happens, same with SHIFT H (for Hercules)

Interestingly, on a 1987 version of the game, non of these keys work at all! (except Alt-X, which quits the game!).

Thanks!

You can only switch to tandy mode if machine=tandy
Try this config:

[dosbox]
machine=tandy
memsize=31

[cpu]
core=dynamic
cycles=5000
cycleup=500
cycledown=500

[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=44100
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10

[sblaster]
type=none

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
tandyrate=44100

BTW: The patch MANIACTE.EXE is for the enhanced version: MANIAC Tandy Enhanced is my guess.
It will allow you to switch to tandy but since dosbox is not configured for tandy it will hang.

Afaict you cannot seperate tandy music from tandy graphics in dosbox. So that patch wont work anyway.

Try the config, it works fine here 😁

Reply 13 of 24, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think he isn’t talking about Dosbox. After all this is the regular software forum.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 14 of 24, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
C0deHunter wrote:
I see. Well, unfortunately I have an AWE64 GOLD. […]
Show full quote
root42 wrote:

I see. Well, unfortunately I have an AWE64 GOLD.

But, just out of curiosity:

I copied MODIAC.EXE and MANIACTE.EXE into my game folder:

When I run MODIAC.EXE, I see the EGA graphics, but no music/sound. The MANIACTE.EXE hangs my system (black screen)

I am using SetMUL L2D to reduce the speed of my PIII system.

Without a Tandy sound card (such as the one from matze79 or the one from lotech) you won’t get any sound. And yes, the maniacte.exe is for the enhanced graphics version. So you probably have the original unenhanced version.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 15 of 24, by Akuma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
root42 wrote:

I think he isn’t talking about Dosbox. After all this is the regular software forum.

My bad 😁

Try this, I translated the patch from the MANIACTE version to the 1988 one.
Haven't tested it but afaict it should work. (make a backup)

EDIT: It allows me to switch to tandy mode whilst in VGA (in dosbox), so this should work.

Attachments

• Filename
    mm1988t.zip
    File size
    39.08 KiB
    Downloads
    65 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 16 of 24, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jaZz_KCS wrote:

Yes, because there never was a system that could do *only* either Tandy graphics or Tandy sound. The Tandy 1000 and the PCjr had both and neither Tandy sound nor Tandy graphics existed as an ISA card for putting into other systems. It's actually more interesting that some later games broke with that linking - most likely because at some time, many developers expected that Tandys were upgraded with VGA.

Reply 17 of 24, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I am playing this on my real retro computer (see my signature for the specs), so the DosBox does not apply to me! But I really appreciate your awesome input!

Reply 19 of 24, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Akuma wrote:

Try the patched version of 1988 release above, that should only work on real hardware 😁

I will, after I finish playing the Enhanced version, and I am currently in the middle of!

QUESTIONS:

1) What about the Tandy voice, that is the only thing I was interested in, when I originally posted this thread, how can I choose a sound option, *other* than the built-in PC speaker?

2) Also, can someone tell me the release date for various versions of the PC format?

1987, 1988, and 1998 for enhanced?