VOGONS

DOS 6 22 vs DOS 7.1

Topic actions

First post, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,
Hope this isn't going to be to controversial. I just opened a new thread on memory problems with some drivers in dos 7.1. I solved these problems but that's it. I have no game here that wouldn't run at least as smooth as it does in dos 6.22. I made this stand-alone dos 7.1 version because I thought it would give me some advantages over 6.22. Until now I can't see any pros except the higher HDD capacity. Why should one consider staying with 7.1 when 6.22 does the job so well?

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 1 of 59, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What does MS Dos ^.22 do that 7.1 can not do?

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 5 of 59, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lazar81 wrote:

Why should one consider staying with 7.1 when 6.22 does the job so well?

No one should. Who even ever said that? MS-DOS 7.x is not a stand-alone product and should not be used as such. It was heavily patched to support Win9x. If you are not running Win9x, you should not run MS-DOS 7.x either.

Reply 6 of 59, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I agree, and the fact that most ppl that tend to go with 7.0/7.1 do so with the FAT32 option in mind. Against which I only have one argument: "Do you really need that much storage for your DOS games and applications that one or two 2GB partitions wouldn't be enough?"

It was heavily modified to accompany Win9x, therefore I am not surprised that some memory managers and/or drivers are not cooperating nicely with it. There ought to be some pointy corners somewhere.

Reply 7 of 59, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jaZz_KCS wrote:

I agree, and the fact that most ppl that tend to go with 7.0/7.1 do so with the FAT32 option in mind. Against which I only have one argument: "Do you really need that much storage for your DOS games and applications that one or two 2GB partitions wouldn't be enough?"

That depends on which period you are thinking about. For late 90s DOS games, a large collection can easily surpass the 8GB total hard drive limit of DOS6. Although you can install multiple drives, but why?

With that said, a late 90s PC might be useful for playing some early Win9x games, so you might as well be running Win9x anyways.

jaZz_KCS wrote:

I am not surprised that some memory managers and/or drivers are not cooperating nicely with it. There ought to be some pointy corners somewhere.

I don't think there are any. DOS 7's incompatibility with stuff is just an urban myth spread frequently without much to back it up.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 8 of 59, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jaZz_KCS wrote:

I'll take small cluster fat32 over large cluster fat16!

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 9 of 59, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just tested a few combinations...
Dos 7.1 with xmgr+umbpci - I can't get it to work....
Dos7.1 with original memory manager and modern drivers (ctmouse, shsucdx....) results 615kb... Almost every game is running well.

Dos6.22 with xmgr+umbpci and modern drivers results 619kb and almost every game is running...
Dos 6.22 with original memory manager and modern drivers results 616kb and EVERY game is running...
At the moment I would prefer 6.22

If they are speed sensitive I run them in dosbox.

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 10 of 59, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm often using MS-DOS 6.2x because it comes with useful utilities and wasn't so much targeted on 32-Bit yet.
Similar to DOS 5, it was tested -and actually used- on several 16-Bit machines of the time.
That includes various oddball machines based around 808x, 8018x, 80286 and the NEC V CPUs of the day.
Anyway, I'm not saying v7 is "bad". Rather the opposite (remember, "don't trust any DOS below 7").
There's Novell DOS 7, PC-DOS 7, Caldera DOS 7.. 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 59, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use open sourced and public domain UMM03 + HIMEM.SYS on Win98SE DOS (4.10.2222) and I have 628KB.
The FAT32 smaller cluster size for bigger volume is useful in reducing disk slack space.

Reply 12 of 59, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kjliew wrote:

I use open sourced and public domain UMM03 + HIMEM.SYS on Win98SE DOS (4.10.2222) and I have 628KB.
The FAT32 smaller cluster size for bigger volume is useful in reducing disk slack space.

What is UMM03?

Reply 15 of 59, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lazar81 wrote:
I just tested a few combinations... Dos 7.1 with xmgr+umbpci - I can't get it to work.... Dos7.1 with original memory manager […]
Show full quote

Dos7.1 with original memory manager and modern drivers (ctmouse, shsucdx....) results 615kb... Almost every game is running well.

Dos6.22 with xmgr+umbpci and modern drivers results 619kb and almost every game is running...
Dos 6.22 with original memory manager and modern drivers results 616kb and EVERY game is running...

I use the CDU distro of DOS 7 with UMBPCI extensively, it works perfectly. No idea what xmgr is

Reply 16 of 59, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lazar81 wrote:
I just tested a few combinations... Dos 7.1 with xmgr+umbpci - I can't get it to work.... Dos7.1 with original memory manager […]
Show full quote

Would you do us the kindness and please specify, when you say "almost every game is running" - which games are NOT running? And whether they are not running because of DOS version or because of choice of drivers / memory managers?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 17 of 59, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:
jaZz_KCS wrote:

I am not surprised that some memory managers and/or drivers are not cooperating nicely with it. There ought to be some pointy corners somewhere.

I don't think there are any. DOS 7's incompatibility with stuff is just an urban myth spread frequently without much to back it up.

The fact that he has problems emerging when switching from DOS6 to DOS7 without any other changes surely proofs otherwise. Not necessarily memory manager incompatibilities, but others.

Reply 18 of 59, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote:

Would you do us the kindness and please specify, when you say "almost every game is running" - which games are NOT running? And whether they are not running because of DOS version or because of choice of drivers / memory managers?

Lotus III - Not working with every memory manager in DOS 6.22, yet not tested in 7.1
Dune 2 - runs perfectly in 6.22 with umbpci and original memory managers. It refuses to startup in 7.1
Beneath a Steel Sky - not working with every memory manager in 6.22 as well as in 7.1

Just examples... Didn't test all my games yet.

maxtherabbit wrote:

I use the CDU distro of DOS 7 with UMBPCI extensively, it works perfectly. No idea what xmgr is

Ok... I will have a look. Can anyone say more on this?

Reply 19 of 59, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lazar81 wrote:

Lotus III - Not working with every memory manager in DOS 6.22, yet not tested in 7.1

Dune 2 runs perfectly on my retro machine with DOS 7.1 (Windows 98SE) and UMBPCI in pure DOS mode.

It also runs perfectly with EMM386.EXE for that matter.