VOGONS

Reply 42 of 48, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back in the day, I did not own any computers with 386sx except my LTE 386s/20 notebook which is not running windows, I used microsoft word 5.0 for DOS to create notes and writing when i was at college.

My very first computers was as toys playing with hardware and 286 boards. I played games short time on 386DX when I went to college I created a 486DX 50 out of Amd 486dx 40 with VLB.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 43 of 48, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm going to try 95 for giggles, and hope that reducing the vcache to a minimum of 512kB allows the CF card to shoulder more of the burden and keep more system memory free to reduce swapping

If that runs like ass, OS/2 2.1 is on deck

Reply 44 of 48, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote:

I'm going to try 95 for giggles, and hope that reducing the vcache to a minimum of 512kB allows the CF card to shoulder more of the burden and keep more system memory free to reduce swapping

If that runs like ass, OS/2 2.1 is on deck

OK, OS/2 2.1 is on deck then.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 45 of 48, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows 95B is up and running just fine on this beast

I had to reflash my XUB ROM to the "386" version (was using the XT+ version before that employs the 286 instruction set) in order to get the CF card out of "MS-DOS Compatibility Mode". The 386 build of XUB contains the "Windows 95 hack" for this exact reason.

So 8MB 0-wait memory + 386sx16 + 256kB L2 cache + 4GB CF card = barely acceptable Windows 95 machine IMO

95 has built in drivers for my Adaptec SCSI card which is driving my external CDROM, and I was able to load the Advance logic ALS007 drivers for my sound card. Just need to get a driver for this Everex Viewpoint Standard VGA to enable 256 color and I'm good

Reply 46 of 48, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote:

So 8MB 0-wait memory + 386sx16 + 256kB L2 cache + 4GB CF card = barely acceptable Windows 95 machine IMO

It might help a lot to use a video card with Windows acceleration.
If you don't have acceleration, the CPU needs to draw everything. A 386SX would benefit hugely from a Windows accelerator, because it can spend all its time on running the OS and applications, not on drawing the screen.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 47 of 48, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ugh, you have L2 cache? That speeds this boy up quite a bit.

I remember my sx @ 20MHz without cache, and win95 wasn't really usable...

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 48 of 48, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scali wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:

It might help a lot to use a video card with Windows acceleration.
If you don't have acceleration, the CPU needs to draw everything. A 386SX would benefit hugely from a Windows accelerator, because it can spend all its time on running the OS and applications, not on drawing the screen.

I'm sure it would, thing is this is the only retro machine I have that is "factory original"

I've added a SCSI, sound and network card, and replaced the failed ST-157 (F in the chat for that boi) with the CF card, but I really don't want to remove original components that still work.