VOGONS

First post, by murrayman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just recently got a Packard Bell Multimedia S610 (see sig for specs) that has the original 4.2GB HDD. I just restored with a 175525 PB Master CD successfully, which is Win95B OSR2 w/ USB supplement. However, after installing some games, the computer has become exponentially slower, and sometimes even after a normal restart, the computer will prompt to run ScanDisk on bootup due to potential bad clusters.

I decided to let ScanDisk do its thing. Once it got to the surface scan, everything was fine for the first few minutes, but as it kept going, the scan got slower and slower. It eventually made its way past the used sectors (only 502mb on the HDD at the moment), but even past that point, it just kept getting slower and slower, until eventually it wouldn't refresh the amount of clusters it had examined until after a full minute elapsed. I gave up after six hours and only 17% complete; no errors detected that far in.

Is this normal behavior? I always skipped ScanDisk back in the 90s, so this is new territory for me as a whole, and I've been instructed on here with a different machine to rely on it when weird issues like this come up. Could I have a HDD or other issue?

P3B-F 1.04, PIII 1k, 512MB PC133, GF DDR 32MB + DM3DII 12MB SLI, SB0100
P3B-F 1.03, PIII 700, 384MB PC100, V5 AGP, SB0160
CP 5170, PII 350, 256MB PC100, Rage LT 2MB, ESS 1869
PB M S610, PMMX 233, 128MB EDO66, DM3D 4MB, Aztech

Reply 1 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm sorry, I can't answer your question - I mainly used Win95 in the pre-GB times.. 🙁
However, you can boot from the Win98SE CD-ROM and run a newer (?) ScanDisk from there.
Alternatively, Windows ME might be helpful in that special case. It always uses the Windows version of ScanDisk.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 8, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, that's not normal. As long as ScanDisk does not find a bad sector, speed should be the same for every sectors it tests. A 4 GB drive should be scanned in 20 to 30 minutes max.

If it is getting slow even with no bad sectors found, I would check the IDE cable first. If it's loose, it may result in bus errors, slowing things down due to communication retries. If it's not the cable, replace the HDD.

Reply 3 of 8, by murrayman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alright, just swapped out IDE cables, did fdisk, and doing a surface scan using a Win98SE CD ScanDisk tool. As it’s going along, it reads clusters at a consistent rate for the first few percentage, but once it hits around 6%, it bogs down and hangs for several seconds at a time. Took 30 mins to get to 9%, but still no bad clusters found. IDE controller is on the motherboard.

Reply 4 of 8, by murrayman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Took a Maxtor 6.4GB out of my Compaq and tried it with the original IDE cable in the Packard Bell. Sure enough, zero issues getting through a surface scan nice and quick. Replacing the old HDD then!

Reply 5 of 8, by Cobra42898

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think scandisk does retry each sector more than once if it finds something questionable. if it fails more than "x" times, it gets marked bad. So a disk may be weak but still "pass" the check. I usually see this on floppies, but I suppose a HDD is equally suseptible.

Searching for Epson Actiontower 3000 486 PC.

Reply 6 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cobra42898 wrote on 2020-01-13, 17:05:

I think scandisk does retry each sector more than once if it finds something questionable. if it fails more than "x" times, it gets marked bad. So a disk may be weak but still "pass" the check. I usually see this on floppies, but I suppose a HDD is equally suseptible.

I tink the same. If only that HDD wasn't so big.. 🙁
Sophisticated software for checking low-Level / physical stuff was made in DOS 3.x/DOS 4.x times (I'm thinking of Spinrite and CheckIt!),
so the newest that such special software was mader aware of are things like FAT16B paritions and drives up to 2GB.

Though in reality, that's a far stretch, even, perhaps. In its prime time, 2o to 120MB MFM/RLL and ESDI/IDE fixed disk were the more usual stuff.
Also, starting with ESDI/ATA, HDDs started to mask physical defects and physical drive geometry, too.
That's why DOS (chkdsk /f, scandisk, format etc) rarely finds sectors marked as "bad" these days, I guess.

Even though CHS was still the norm on the software level (LBA awareness started ca. with late 486 PCs),
the hardisk themselves started to get advanced capabilities, such as sector-caches, DMA/Multi-Word DMA and fake CHS.
(Originally, I suppose, non-PC platforms made more often use of the new features.)

Anyway, that being said, there must be a way to check the drive or truelly mark bad sectors.
Maybe though the use of some service software from the HDD manufacturer, not sure. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 8, by murrayman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was lucky enough to replace the HDD with the same brand and size HDD. Passed ScanDisk in only 15 mins, so that old drive definitely has an issue. However, I’m gonna hang onto it for now in case someone has an idea as to what may be up or a more advanced way to check it, just for fun.

Reply 8 of 8, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is why one should use only enterprise-grade drives.
Consumer-grade drives retry and retry indefinitely in case of errors.
Enterprise-grade drives retry only very few times before reporting error.