VOGONS

First post, by Dochartaigh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To make a long story short:

Dell Dimension XPS T700r (P3 700mhz, 256mb ram) I built from advice in that linked topic (didn't get 1ghz upgrade to work, so it's stock 700mhz)
•Startech SATA to IDE adapter with Crucial 120gb SSD, formatted to FAT32 with 4K Partition Alignment per this tutorial
• GeForce ti4600 AGP video card, Audigy 2 ZS Gold and ESS ES1869F sound cards

I put in Win 98 SE CD. I get prompted and choose: boot from CD, then Start Win 98 setup, then blue "to setup windows now press enter" screen, then "setup is now going to perform a routine check on your system" remove any floppies and press a key to reboot - it's supposed to go to this Microsoft ScanDisk screen:

VwDDjt8.png

But I never, ever, get to that ScanDisk screen. Just stuck in a boot loop over and over again. I've tried four different Win 98SE CD's: 2x from Winworld, 1x that worked on my other P3 - all burned 4x on Verbatim Data life plus CD's - AND tried a real but scratched retail disc I bought around 1999 🤣.

I then boot with CD-rom support, and in DOS manually run the windows Setup.exe from the CD. "Setup is now going to perform a routine check on your system" (i.e. ScanDisk) - quick blue flash then it quits back to DOS. Then run "setup /is" which is the "Do not run ScanDisk" option. I can then install Windows onto the SSD, and it seems to complete successfully. If it matters, I was NOT able to make a 3.5" startup disk during the installation for some reason (known working new-old-stock floppy, 1.44mb formatted, which I updated the BIOS off of so I know it works):

MMV62t5.jpg

Anyway, when I restart after Win98 install completes, it checks RAM and everything normally, then I get a single flashing _ on the top left of a black screen - it won't automatically boot into Win98. If I put in Win98 setup CD again and boot to command prompt, I can go to C:\ drive where all the Windows files are on the SSD. When I manually boot Windows from DOS, I get this error:

VFAT device initialization failed
A device or resource required by VFAT is not present or is unavailable. VFAT cannot continue loading.
System halted.

IBlOLwN.jpg

Googling and only thing I can find is that the SSD was maybe formatted wrong? (yet Windows still sees the SSD, lets it install on the SSD, and I can move/copy/delete off the SSD?). Others say it's an error in the config.sys dealing with IFSHLP.SYS and/or setver.exe? I've tried every combo there and still no go. ...getting at the end of my witts today already... between installing those parts (and that friggin Asus Slot 1 to 370 adapter not working) I've already spent 8pm to 5am last night, and 11am to almost 4pm today and can't even get windows friggin loaded!

Reply 1 of 3, by Cobra42898

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've had a few systems do weird things like this recently - sometimes ive found removing all the ram and then reinstalling it (reseating it) helps.

ive also seen it suggested here to run fdisk/mbr
in case the drive is formatted/partitioned in a way 98se is having trouble translating.
it appears you just dropped it in and it was working with a format?

could also be a tricky sata/ide adapter. some combinations just dont seem to like each other.

Searching for Epson Actiontower 3000 486 PC.

Reply 3 of 3, by Dochartaigh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cobra42898 wrote on 2020-01-19, 04:16:

in case the drive is formatted/partitioned in a way 98se is having trouble translating.
it appears you just dropped it in and it was working with a format?

I think that indeed was the problem. I don't think that Windows likes how I was 4k partition alignment formatting this SSD. Fdisk /mbr wasn't helping either (or maybe it did...I did run it a couple times, but then it failed to install Win98 after that...). But at some point I was able to delete the partition on the 120GB SSD with fdisk (for the longest time it would NOT let me delete the partition, maybe until I just formatted it regular non-4k FAT32 on my Windows 10 PC, but I'm not really sure since I tried so many things last night).

After the partition was deleted I purposely didn't format it in DOS, and when I booted up Windows 98 setup it prompted me to format the SSD, which was a slow format (maybe 20-30ish minutes), and after that it was able to do the ScanDisk check properly and Windows installed properly! So I'm up and running no!