VOGONS

First post, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dear all,
OK, I have used my GOG version of Monkey Island 2 and followed the instructions on this page:

http://gratissaugen.de/ultimatetalkies/monkey2.html

To create the 'Ultimate Talkie' for DOS (not ScummVM) version, with no error message.

The issue is this:

When I run this game under DOS, on my real retro machine, the game runs fine, but either in the intro, or at random places, it freezes the system, and I have to do a hard reset. (I can still hear the background music, while it is frozen)

I am using the game with the following parameters:

Monkey2 -r (for Roland MT-32)

My System specs:

-PIII-800E
-Abit BH-6
- Rage Pro 128 Video Card
-256MB SD-RAM PC100
-AWE64 Gold
-Sound Canvas 55 MKII
-Windows 98SE (but I am using PhilComputerLabs', *pure* DOS option to play and launch games from a DOS prompt)
-2X SanDisk (2004) 2GB CF as
-C:\ (Win98SE OS)
-D:\ (DOS Games)
-SoftMPU

I have even tried SetMUL L2D, L1D, and other combinations, thinking the CPU is too fast, but the issue still remains with either L2, or L1 disabled.

The Monkey Island 1 Ultimate Talkie version, however, runs absolutely flawless.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by C0deHunter on 2020-03-09, 20:50. Edited 1 time in total.

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 1 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

what mouse driver are you using? try with the stock MS mouse.com or another CTMOUSE version - I've had similar issues in the past with the Ultimate Talkie MI games and Space Quest 4 CD
version , see the link: Re: Freezing problem with both Monkey Island Ultimate talkie DOS

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Note that this should be in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android As per the description of this forum: "Getting old DOS games working on modern hardware."

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 6, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
collector wrote on 2020-02-27, 13:46:

Note that this should be in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android As per the description of this forum: "Getting old DOS games working on modern hardware."

A P3 800 is modern? Arguably it’s at least a youngtimer.

Edit: I am stupid. Yes, this forum is for modern hardware.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 4 of 6, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you move this thread then?
Can’t find it there!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 6 of 6, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
collector wrote on 2020-02-27, 13:46:

This is how I got it work with my setup:

I am using MUNT to emulate MT32 music, so I usually have MUNT running in the background when my DOS gaming machine starts. Now the catch with this game is, that I have to *stop* MUNT before I run Monkey2.exe r1, otherwise the system freezes as usual.

So:

1) Stop MUNT before running the game (I am using Monkey2.exe r1 for MT32 emulation)

2) I downloaded and use CTMOUSE v2.0a4

3) SetMUL L2D

4) When the game start, after the main intro, and after meeting Largo LaGrande on the bridge, I press Start to run MUNT (I am running MUNT on a different machine, a laptop) and the game does not freeze!