VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I tried playing Solar Winds in DOS on a Pentium 133Mhz and with a SB AWE32 (3990.) The game locks up after playing a few sound effects. I can let the game sit and play the awesome music, but if I go into combat and start firing, or start firing the gun in the main view, it will lock up hard - either instantly, or after a few shots.

I have tried playing the game without any sound TSRs loaded, and I tried using moslo at 75% speed. I searched the net and vogons, and I found someone with an AWE64 having the same issue.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it? I thought about trying to hunt down 486 parts, but with old hardware failure rates, I am going to build a Pentium III or Athlon K7 system that will allow me to run everything from 1980-2000, and it will have both an AWE of some kind for DOS with a Dreamblaster X2 9if I can find one during the quarantine,) and an Sound Blaster Live! for Windows 98SE, and an MPU-IPC-T for connecting an MT-32or CM-500 (if I can get my hands on one.) However, I am worried about this Solar Winds issue. It is one of the games from my youth, and I remember loading it up as a kid just to listen to the tunes, and I never completed it, so I need to have it on the PC for running Moslo Deluxe in DOS to emulate a 486.

Scythifuge

Reply 1 of 1, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried Solar Winds on 86box with the emulated AWE32 (uses AWE32 raw dump) and it works without lock ups. Maybe it is due to a lack of a Yamaha chip? Solar Winds requires a Sound Blaster, and the older ones had the chip. I really wish that my CT2760 didn't crap out...