Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

a3init_003.png

a3init_000.png

a3_main_002.png

a3_main_004.png

a3_main_005.png

If you've ever played the Chinese or Korean PC ports of Amaranth III (as-if!), you're probably familiar with the broken music playback. That is, regardless of either an "SB/AdLib" or "Roland" selection, the music drifts into an unsynchronized, cacophonous mess within short order.

I've put together a fix that mitigates this issue. Simply extract/copy the A3.LIB and SETUP.EXE files from the attached archive into the game directory, and re-run the setup utility just to validate your sound selection (against the corrected descriptions).

Things to note:

• The original Chinese/Korean setup utilities list the Roland MT-32 as a supported option. It isn't. This selection, along with the "SB + Roland" counterpart, instead corresponds to playback with a Roland SC-55 or similar. While the original Japanese PC-98 release does feature separate FM, LA, and GS soundtrack renditions, the third-party ports only permit playback of the GS soundtrack, along with a condensed set of MIDI files arranged for playback on OPL2/AdLib-compatible devices. The revised SETUP.EXE simply updates the options with corrected text.
  • I restored the "missing" drum notes in A3_GS5.MID, but am unclear as to whether they were intentionally, or accidentally, removed in the first place. In addition, some perceived note omissions and off-sounding pitch-bends yet remain in other tracks. If I ever get around to comparing directly with the GS soundtrack of the original PC-98 release, I may address these things further.
  • This game was designed with 10MHz, V30-based PC-98 systems in mind. As such, the ports run respectably well on comparable PC hardware. (I've been comfortably playing on a 10MHz, 286-based system, for what it's worth.)

Attachments