Mortal Kombat II problems

Topic actions

Reply 41 of 110, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BliggyBlop wrote on 2020-04-26, 13:18:

Yes, that’s exactly the problem I was having! Please tell me how you fare with dosbox (and what version you use)

You could always try running in Dosbox on a Windows 98 machine , but I personally do not see the point . If you want to do that, you might as well run it in Dosbox on a modern Windows 10, in which case the GOG installer would set it up for you automatically .

If you want to run directly on vintage hardware, you have to accept that this game does not run well under Windows and this is not the only DOS game like it in this respect .

My understanding is that the game does run properly for you under DOS but without sound . The reason for that is that your sound card is likely not configured properly for DOS use and not set up properly in the game (F10 menu) . If you would like help with that, please post what sound card you are using .

Reply 42 of 110, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Runs perfectly under DOSbox (version packaged with the game from gog 0.7.4 i think) a little slow on the machine I'm using (PIII 500, Voodoo2 SLI, Geforce 2 GTS, AWE64 Gold, 512MB SDRAM) but perfectly playable, on a faster system it'd be even better, although as darry says It kind of defeats the purpose of running it on vintage hardware in the first place. would be better under a Properly configured real DOS mode. Although it's strange that MK1 and MK3 work just fine but MKII just doesn't like windows.

I've not gotten round to properly configuring DOS on this system yet for the AWE64, CDROM and mouse.

Reply 45 of 110, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BliggyBlop wrote on 2020-04-26, 14:28:

Also, I researched a little bit, and I found that maybe something called CWCDOS.exe will help me.

Indeed you already have it in your autoexec.bat . Try invoking it manually and post screenshot of output. Maybe you only need a set blaster= variable set .

Reply 48 of 110, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BliggyBlop wrote on 2020-04-26, 14:54:

Here:

Thank you. So we know it's not finding the chip.

What brand and model is your motherboard ?
If you do not have that info, what do you see as a sound card in Windows device manager ?

Reply 49 of 110, by BliggyBlop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Interesting story:
My Win98SE computer is put together from 2 different pre-built computers, with other miscellaneous parts put in.
The motherboard I am using is from an emachines etower 533ir.

The bliggiest blop.

Reply 51 of 110, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

According to what I could find on the Internet, the sound chip in the E-machines model should be a CS4280 and cwcdos.exe should be the right initialization utility for it . So something is off .

First we need to make sure this is really a CS4280 .

Please download and run pcilist.exe un Windows and post screencap from sound card info . Link http://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/pci_list.html

Reply 53 of 110, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for that .

Apparently, CS4280/CS4614/CS4624/CS4630 all have the same device IDs and similar functionality under DOS ( but different capabilities under Windows ) . The Windows 98 SE drivers I found do not seem to have pure DOS support at all . Let me dig a bit and I will get back to you this evening .

Reply 54 of 110, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OK, your best bet is installing this driver set
https://web.archive.org/web/20041230172145/ht … udio/PV2885.zip by unzipping and running setup.exe under Windows .

That should install everything you need . If the version of cwcdos.exe it installs still does not work, I am a bit stumped .

Reply 55 of 110, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

if you can't get cwcdos.exe to at least detect the card, I suggest getting an other card with better native DOS support (ou should be able to disable this one in BIOS) .The PCI Crystal chips have a less than ideal OPL3 implementation anyway .

If cwcdos.exe works, we can mobe on to the next step .

Reply 56 of 110, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If cwcdos still does not work but you would like to press on trying to get it to work maybe you can start a thread about it. I have a CS4630 based card in storage, but have not used in over 15 years and did not use it in much in DOS ( used XP at the time), and do not remember what I used to initialize it under DOS (but do not recall any issues)

Maybe somebody who uses one of these cards can be of more help .

Reply 58 of 110, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BliggyBlop wrote on 2020-04-26, 18:06:

Question: Do you know if those drivers you linked are .WDM? I’d like to use daemon tools for some games on my Win98SE computer.

They are vxd, the wdm ones do not have pure DOS support . Once you have DOS support working, you could simply backup the Dworking DOS init utilities and install the wdm drivers if you like .