VOGONS

Mortal Kombat II problems

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 110, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Once DOS support is working, copy the folder containing cwcdos.exe to c:\ , uninstall the vxd drivers, install the wdm drivers and
Execute cwcdos.exe from its directory when needed (or put it in autoexec.bat) .

Reply 62 of 110, by BliggyBlop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks! Also, I installed the drivers from a folder on the desktop, and it tells me to restart my computer. When this happens, Windows tells me it found new hardware, and it looks for drivers, but doesn’t find them.

The bliggiest blop.

Reply 63 of 110, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it asks for the path to the drivers, point it toward the folder where you ran setup.exe from .

Otherwise, you can update drivers from device manager and pointing to the folder where you ran setup.exe from

Reply 72 of 110, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OK, I will try to dig up my CS4630 this evening, and attempt to replicate the issue you are experiencing .
I have an Asus P3B-F based Windows 98SE machine I should be able to use as a testbed .

If that fails, we could give the ES1370 a shot . It will require EMM386.EXE to be loaded so it may limit compatibility with some games .

Incidentally, PCI sound card compatibility under DOS is not fantastic. The best PCI cards for DOS are the Yamaha YMY724/YMF744/YMF754 series, ESS Solo-1 and CMI8738 . If you happen to spot one .

Reply 73 of 110, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, I have scoured the bowels of the Internet and am quite confident that your motherboard is either a Trigem Anaheim-2 or Anaheim-2a with a CS4280 .

I found what I believe are the original drivers provided by Trigem here http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archive/Trigem/ … s/Sound/Cs4280/

I have analyzed the three Windows 9.x driver sets provided and all three have DOS drivers, but only two different versions of cwcdos.exe exist. Interestingly, they are both version 2.80 , but have different sizes, dates and checksums .

Anyway, long story short . I have prepared two cwcdos driver sets along with their dependencies for you to try .

Just unzip each of them and try running cwcdos.exe /v from the unzipped directory under DOS. Let me know the results .

Attachments

• Filename
    newdos.zip
    File size
    71.63 KiB
    Downloads
    36 downloads
    File comment
    Newer cwcdos.exe
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    olddos.zip
    File size
    67.48 KiB
    Downloads
    37 downloads
    File comment
    Older cwcdos.exe
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 74 of 110, by BliggyBlop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Olddos says:

* Found PCI Bios.
* A SoundFusion chip was not found,

Newdos says:

* Found PCI Bios.
* BA0/BA1 not configured correctly.
* A SoundFusion chip was not found.

Newdos says the same thing as the drivers you gave me before.

The bliggiest blop.

Reply 75 of 110, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is really strange .

As far as I can tell BA0/BA1 refers to PCI registers .
Other than maybe a video card, do you have any PCI devices slotted in the motherboard ?
In another thread, someone mentioned the issue might be related to a BIOS setting . Would you be willing to RESET your CMOS settings to factory defaults ?

Reply 76 of 110, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I finally tested out both versions of cwcdos.exe on my P3B-F motherboard with a CS4630 based-card and both detected the card . I was not able to get them to not detect the card .

At this point, if resetting BIOS CMOS settings does not fix it, I really do not know what to try next, except maybe a BIOS update, if one is available . If your motherboard is an Anaheim-2, there are some BIOS available, but nothing in the README (which I had to run through Google translate) purports to fix this kind of issue .

Maybe it's time to disable this one in the BIOS and try that ES1370 instead, or consider getting another PCI sound card with better DOS support, such as Yamaha YMF724/YMF744/YMF754 or ESS ES1938 based one . Hopefully, whatever the issue is with the onboard CS4280, it will not extend to other cards .

Reply 77 of 110, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One has to wonder if somehow this motherboard has a "crippled" version of the SoundFusion, which has no DOS extension.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 78 of 110, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I imagine that if there was a crippled variant, it would have had different PCI device id . Then again, maybe not .
The issue could also be due to some BIOS bug/incompatibiity that went relatively unnoticed considering that this system was released during the waning days of DOS .

Reply 79 of 110, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The programming guide mentions an optional EEPROM, maybe there's an issue with that or maybe it is required for DOS compatibility .

https://www.alsa-project.org/files/pub/manual … _audio_spec.pdf