VOGONS

Mortal Kombat II problems

Topic actions

Reply 82 of 110, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At this point, I think it's time to give up on the CS4280 as far as DOS support goes (unless there's a non-default BIOS setting required for this to work) and try another sound card instead . If you take that route, disable the integrated CS4280 first in the BIOS (hopefully, your BIOS offers that option) .

Reply 85 of 110, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote on 2020-04-30, 01:01:

Maybe there's still some way to get it running under Windows?

Perhaps it would work with DOS32a instead of DOS4GW?

Good idea .
I had already thought of that and tried it, with the same results .

EDIT: Just to be clear, I did not unlink and relink it, I just ran dos32a.exe with mk2.exe as a parameter .

Last edited by darry on 2020-04-30, 01:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 86 of 110, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BliggyBlop wrote on 2020-04-30, 00:44:

Unfortunately, I have looked, and my BIOS does not support that.

Well it may not be the end of the world, if you can't disable it in BIOS as it does not seem to expose any Sound Blaster functionality in DOS anyway, so there's little chance for conflicts .

Let me know if you would like help with the ES1370 . Probaby the best course of action would be plugging it in, checking its resources with PCILIST.EXE and getting a compatible Windows driver set which includes DOS support . Incidentally, having 2 cards running under Windows 98 SE will not be an issue, I use to run it with 3 or 4 back in the day .

Reply 88 of 110, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BliggyBlop wrote on 2020-04-30, 21:01:

I’ll try the ES1370. Also, thanks for your help trying the CS4280!

Happy to (try to) help whenever I can . Let me know how it goes with the ES1370 .

Reply 89 of 110, by BliggyBlop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Slightly longer than a month later...

I have found some DOS drivers, and am looking for Windows drivers. Would it work for me to have both, and only run the DOS one when needed? Thanks.

The bliggiest blop.

Reply 90 of 110, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you mean using the CS4280 in Windows only and using another card in DOS only, I don't see a problem with that .

The other card will be detected by Windows, which may even install default drivers . Either way, you don't have to use the card in Windows and can even disable it in device manager .

You can safely run the DOS software for the other card only when needed .

Reply 91 of 110, by BliggyBlop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I meant 2 different drivers for the same card (ES1370). But, I may have found something else. There is a Creative SoundBlaster PCI64 Legacy Device driver when I go to the menu where I can choose drivers for the device. I heard they have DOS SB16 support. I’ll try those.

The bliggiest blop.

Reply 93 of 110, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BliggyBlop wrote on 2020-06-03, 19:36:

I meant 2 different drivers for the same card (ES1370). But, I may have found something else. There is a Creative SoundBlaster PCI64 Legacy Device driver when I go to the menu where I can choose drivers for the device. I heard they have DOS SB16 support. I’ll try those.

I am not sure I understand what you mean. Every PCI sound card will have Windows drivers and a DOS initialization utility or a TSR (depending on model) . You can use the DOS utility or TSR only when you need it .

Reply 95 of 110, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BliggyBlop wrote on 2020-06-03, 19:49:

Oh, okay. I didn’t know that. I thought I needed both. Thanks again!

In general (there is probably an exception), where PCI sound cards are concerned :

a) Windows drivers do not require the DOS utility in order to run audio in Windows .

b) The DOS utility or TSR does not require the Windows drivers to run .

c) For some cards, you must run the Windows based driver installer for the both the Windows drivers and the DOS utility to be installed . However, once installed, the Windows driver and DOS utility will function independantly. It is also usually possible to extract the DOS stuff manually if you don't have Windows installed but need the DOS utility .

Hope this clears it up for you .

Reply 96 of 110, by BliggyBlop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks! It did. On another note, I am now having driver problems. I downloaded these drivers: http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … 178&menustate=0

installed them, and now Windows can’t find them.

The bliggiest blop.

Reply 98 of 110, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AFAIK, there many ES137x basrd variants . If you want to know if a given driver will work with the card you have, you can check the PCI device ID using PCILIST (for example) and check if the ID is present in the driver .INF file .

If you can provide a screenshot of the PCILIST info for your ES1370 , we'll know what to look for in the INF files.