VOGONS

First post, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good morning,
I know that many games in 1997 have better graphics in glide mode and many also in 1998 (maybe even some games in 1999) but not all.

I would like if it exist a list even incomplete)of game which are better graphics in glide mode than in direct3d mode.

Reply 2 of 7, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That thread is 12 years old, and only mentions a few specific games.

I can add Rayman 2 and Need For Speed II Special Edition.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3 of 7, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

NFS2SE is Glide only, no Direct3D. Without a 3dfx card, you get software-rendering only.

willow wrote on 2020-04-26, 18:49:

I would like if it exist a list even incomplete)of game which are better graphics in glide mode than in direct3d mode.

Reply 4 of 7, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It remains to be seen whether the original poster was specifically looking for games that have both Glide and DirectX hardware rendering, or just for games that look better in Glide versus anything non-Glide.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5 of 7, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Grand Prix Legends is a title that hinges on the distinction that dr_st is making. Initially, the game supported only Software Rendering, 3dfx (Voodoo1 or Voodoo2) and Rendition Verite. Subsequent patches added D3D and even OpenGL (as a Beta). I always found Glide to have the fewest artifacts, but if memory serves, the OpenGL renderer offered twice the resolution in rear view mirrors, and that could be a key thing, depending on your preferences and priorities

Reply 6 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A lot of it is D3D API immaturity, some of it is 3dfx being arcade first with no CAD ambitions. And then there's sometimes the silly placebo effects of quality coming from the high default gamma values (unsurprising given arcades' CRTs) and the smeary smudgy filter I like to raise awareness about for the thousandth time here since that's the big unmentioned 3dfx exclusive feature*. Comparing 3dfx vs the 2nd/3rd generation of 3D accels (TNT, i740, Rage 128, etc) is much more subjective when they're all capable with blending functions.

Also another factor how "3dfx better!" is some engines, mainly UnrealEngine1, don't have the best feature parity or optimized D3D/GL driver.

* = some 3rd party drivers "fix" this by disabling it in the registry. also V2 SLI doesn't filter due to timing issues

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 7, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote on 2020-04-26, 20:18:

It remains to be seen whether the original poster was specifically looking for games that have both Glide and DirectX hardware rendering, or just for games that look better in Glide versus anything non-Glide.

I don't want to compare glide versus anything non-glide but only glide versus directx and I speak about graphics effects and not framerate.

Vetz hasdmade a amazing works with these videos comparing differents versions of some game and explaining the graphics differences between. It's the best works that I have nevers seen.
I would like the same (a list is sufficient) but with lots of games comparing graphics quality of directx and glide versions

For example,

1541 wrote on 2020-04-26, 18:54:

Same question was answered here:
Windows games that look better using Glide

Thanks for the link but there are only some games.

I think that a this list doesn't exist but it's difficult to find the differences between directx version versus glide version for lots of games and even nearly all games. It's more easy to find differences between pc and ps1 for games on internet that differences between directx and glide versions for pc game.