VOGONS

First post, by BliggyBlop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I would like to install FreeDOS on my 15gb hard drive alongside my existing Win98SE installation, possibly partitioning off some of the free space. I don’t know how to do that. If that’s not possible, then I can connect a second 2gb hard drive and install it on there. I don’t know how to do that either. Please help me. Thank you.

The bliggiest blop.

Reply 1 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is very little reason to do this. I suggest getting a second hard drive so that once you've satisfied your curiosity, you wouldn't have to make any more big changes to your system. (If this is just about running Mortal Kombat II, then this will not really solve your problems and is likely to introduce new problems.)

With a second hard drive, you can install a boot manager on your first hard drive, but it might be easier just to toggle the boot order in your BIOS when you want to switch.

Reply 2 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote on 2020-04-26, 22:39:

but it might be easier just to toggle the boot order in your BIOS when you want to switch.

I agree 100% . Boot managers can be a pain to fix when things inevitably break . If you are only going to be switching occasionally, best to do it through BIOS .

I also concur about Mortal Kombat 2; Freedos or any other DOS will not help with that issue .

Reply 5 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2020-04-26, 23:05:

I also concur about Mortal Kombat 2; Freedos or any other DOS will not help with that issue .

No more than running Win98 command line only.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-04-27, 03:22:
darry wrote on 2020-04-26, 23:05:

No more than running Win98 command line only.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by that. The game runs fine under Windows 98 SE DOS pure DOS mode . It does not run properly in a Windows dos box (graphics corruption) . The issue experienced by the OP is that his sound hardware is not initialized properly under DOS ( CWCDOS.EXE does not detect his CS4280 sound chip) . Changing DOS versions won't fix that .

Reply 7 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2020-04-27, 03:30:

I am not sure I understand what you mean by that. The game runs fine under Windows 98 SE DOS pure DOS mode . It does not run properly in a Windows dos box (graphics corruption) . The issue experienced by the OP is that his sound hardware is not initialized properly under DOS ( CWCDOS.EXE does not detect his CS4280 sound chip) . Changing DOS versions won't fix that .

I don't disagree with you. To rephrase what I said, running FreeDOS will provide no more advantage than command line only Win98 (which is where he's at).

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 9, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The issue experienced by the OP is that his sound hardware is not initialized properly under DOS ( CWCDOS.EXE does not detect his CS4280 sound chip) . Changing DOS versions won't fix that .

My guess on that front may be his PCI / ISA PNP / resource settings in bios, I've had similar issues with CMI based cards and others not being detected as being assinged "odd" resources by the bios or other devices using the needed resources.

Could try messing around in the bios settings, might get it to detect, other than that, maybe time to look out for a motherboard with an ISA slot and a nice ISA sound card, or find a Soundblaster Live! and try that for a PCI option.

Reply 9 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
synrgy87 wrote on 2020-04-27, 14:11:

The issue experienced by the OP is that his sound hardware is not initialized properly under DOS ( CWCDOS.EXE does not detect his CS4280 sound chip) . Changing DOS versions won't fix that .

My guess on that front may be his PCI / ISA PNP / resource settings in bios, I've had similar issues with CMI based cards and others not being detected as being assinged "odd" resources by the bios or other devices using the needed resources.

Could try messing around in the bios settings, might get it to detect, other than that, maybe time to look out for a motherboard with an ISA slot and a nice ISA sound card, or find a Soundblaster Live! and try that for a PCI option.

Thanks for the insight .
OP has an ES1370 available, so basically the same as an SB Live under DOS .