First post, by JaKSLaP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi;

I am having issues getting MK Trilogy working on my;

P4 3.6gz, intel 865 chipset, Nvidia 5600 Ultra

I get two options when first starting "Manual Overide" and "Auto Detect"

When i click auto detect the screen just goes black. Manual overide gives me a list but my hardware is not there. Has anyone got this working on more modern hardware in 98? i heard you need a VESA card or something. There must be a patch other there.

http://cubanraul.altervista.org/mkt/index.htm - the patches on this website do not run in Windows 98 - anyone's help we be much appreciated. Also i will prefer to get this running in 98 then DOS because of gamepad support.

Reply 2 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

According to What's the best graphics card for VESA 3.0? , the 5600 should already support VESA 3.0. But that shouldn't matter if you're trying to run the game within Windows.

Can you hear anything after the screen goes black? Perhaps it is trying to switch to a refresh rate that is not supported by your monitor.

What options are you given in the Manual Override list?

Also, does the patch give you any kind of error message when you try to use it in Windows 98?

Reply 3 of 4, by JaKSLaP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-05-06, 00:17:
According to What's the best graphics card for VESA 3.0? , the 5600 should already support VESA 3.0. But that shouldn't matter […]
Show full quote

According to What's the best graphics card for VESA 3.0? , the 5600 should already support VESA 3.0. But that shouldn't matter if you're trying to run the game within Windows.

Can you hear anything after the screen goes black? Perhaps it is trying to switch to a refresh rate that is not supported by your monitor.

What options are you given in the Manual Override list?

Also, does the patch give you any kind of error message when you try to use it in Windows 98?

No i cant hear anything or i see is a flashing white "underscore" key on top right. Manual Override list there are many software vendors on the list. I gotta double check the error it gives, but i believe those patch i linked are for modern systems as i cant seem to find official MK Trilogy patches

Reply 4 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JaKSLaP wrote on 2020-05-06, 22:42:

No i cant hear anything or i see is a flashing white "underscore" key on top right.

The patch page suggests there is both a Windows version and a DOS version. Are you sure you are running the .exe for Windows? Because that's the sort of thing I would expect to see from a DOS program.

(Considering the oldest patch notes mention "Removed files for DOS and Windows 9X play", the patch probably is useless.)