VOGONS

First post, by zapblast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there,

Here is my question and issue:

Using an old dos running, with a turbo speed set at 33. There is a problem with trying to run the game.

Some background:

It is the European budget release takie version from 1995 that is a rerelease of the non-talkie floppy game from 1991. So audio files run on the cd but everything else is installed that’s the only decent way to play. It also has a windows option but that’s not useful I’m using an old dos system. Dos 5, Sb 16. It works with basic PC speaker or no sound perfectly but I put the soundblaster or alib option and soundblaster effects together ( which is the best way and I have the hardware) and it:

After entering the game In dos it stops and says I need 3264 bytes of free memory. Then it will randomly say 7000 at times or work for a bit but it mostly says 3264. Only option is to use extra memory in the original setup. ( it doesn’t do with with pc speaker or no sound, it runs)
What should by done to get the game to work by adding more free memory in the config and Autoexec? I removed all installed games and tried to rem a bit of stuff. What else should I do ? I ONLY want it with soundblaster for effects and audio

I've tried moving tweaking the sb16 IRQ 10 to IRQ 5 but that has no bearing on this issue, and it causes errors.

I’ve attached pics of all you need to know in this wetransfer link :https://we.tl/t-etNFG5s1ey

Reply 2 of 9, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The links you provided does provide screen shots of your Config.sys & Autoexec.bat files, but it will help if you also provide an output of "mem" (just type in mem /c /p)
I did notice that the first line on your Config.sys is pointing to a Windows folder. Do you have a Himem.sys in that Windows folder and is it the DOS 5 version? Suggest you change that to also point to your DOS folder (like EMM386.EXE).
Also place the DOS=HIGH command on the same line as DOS=UMB, as follows: DOS=HIGH,UMB
If you want to save more memory, place "DOS=HIGH,UMB" just after loading HIMEM.SYS (i.e., between HIMEM.SYS & EMM386.EXE).

Reply 3 of 9, by zapblast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jesolo wrote on 2020-06-07, 12:34:
The links you provided does provide screen shots of your Config.sys & Autoexec.bat files, but it will help if you also provide a […]
Show full quote

The links you provided does provide screen shots of your Config.sys & Autoexec.bat files, but it will help if you also provide an output of "mem" (just type in mem /c /p)
I did notice that the first line on your Config.sys is pointing to a Windows folder. Do you have a Himem.sys in that Windows folder and is it the DOS 5 version? Suggest you change that to also point to your DOS folder (like EMM386.EXE).
Also place the DOS=HIGH command on the same line as DOS=UMB, as follows: DOS=HIGH,UMB
If you want to save more memory, place "DOS=HIGH,UMB" just after loading HIMEM.SYS (i.e., between HIMEM.SYS & EMM386.EXE).

Here is the screen shot of mem. I cannot type mem with the other characters It doesn’t register . Just used mem

Here is the screen of dos = high, umb.

I do use win 3.1 and it is connected to dos for practical reasons of installing games or for certain uses. I want to keep it.

Can you clarify what you meant. I’m not understanding what I should exactly type. Everything is fully legit and not emulation. It’s functioning like an initial setup.

Can you write the full lines out exactly ?

Is there any risk to screw up or get locked out of dos with any of these lines?

Attachments

Reply 4 of 9, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I actually forgot that DOS 5 does not support the mem /c command.
You can try this:

Config.sys

DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM
FILES=40
BUFFERS=30,0
LASTDRIVE=E
FCBS=4,0
STACKS=9,256
rem DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DRIVERS\CDROM\MTMCDS.SYS /D:MSCD001 /P:300 /A:0

Autoexec.bat

@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $P$G
PATH C:\GW;C:\DOS\C:\WINDOWS
SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:G MODE:1
SET TEMP=C:\DOS
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\SB16\MIXERSET /P /Q
LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001 /M:10
LH C:\DRIVERS\MOUSE\CTMOUSE.EXE
rem LH C:\DRIVERS\VIDEO\UNIVBE.EXE

The order in which you load your tsr's & device drivers can also sometimes make a dig difference.
You basically want to try and load the ones that takes up the most memory first into your upper memory area and then move onto the ones that takes up the least (like CTMOUSE).
In your screenshots, you loaded CTMOUSE.EXE first, before MSCDEX.EXE. By the time you load MSCDEX.EXE, there might not be enough upper memory available to load the entire device driver into the upper memory area, meaning that it has to load that entire driver into conventional memory. If you swop the two around, then you might be able to load MSCDEX.EXE into the upper memory area.

I can perhaps also suggest replacing your CD-ROM device driver ("MTMCDS.SYS") with one called "VIDE-CDD.SYS". It uses much less memory than, what I suspect, your CD-ROM device driver.
I've attached it here.
You would then just remove the entire line: "DEVICEHIGH=C:\DRIVERS\CDROM\MTMCDS.SYS /D:MSCD001 /P:300 /A:0" and replace it with "DEVICEHIGH=C:\DRIVERS\CDROM\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:MSCD001" (without the quotation marks).
In the above example, you have to copy "VIDE-CDD.SYS" to your DRIVERS\CDROM directory.

Attachments

• Filename
    VIDE-CDD.zip
    File size
    6.21 KiB
    Downloads
    55 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 9, by zapblast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jesolo wrote on 2020-06-07, 17:55:
I actually forgot that DOS 5 does not support the mem /c command. You can try this: […]
Show full quote

You can try this:

Config.sys

DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILES=40
BUFFERS=30,0
LASTDRIVE=E
FCBS=4,0
STACKS=9,256

Autoexec.bat

@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $P$G

The order in which you load your tsr's & device drivers can also sometimes make a dig difference.
You basically want to try and load the ones that takes up the most memory first into your upper memory area and then move onto the ones that takes up the least (like CTMOUSE).
In your screenshots, you loaded CTMOUSE.EXE first, before MSCDEX.EXE. By the time you load MSCDEX.EXE, there might not be enough upper memory available to load the entire device driver into the upper memory area, meaning that it has to load that entire driver into conventional memory. If you swop the two around, then you might be able to load MSCDEX.EXE into the upper memory area.

I can perhaps also suggest replacing your CD-ROM device driver ("MTMCDS.SYS") with one called "VIDE-CDD.SYS". It uses much less memory than, what I suspect, your CD-ROM device driver.
I've attached it here.
You would then just remove the entire line: "DEVICEHIGH=C:\DRIVERS\CDROM\MTMCDS.SYS /D:MSCD001 /P:300 /A:0" and replace it with "DEVICEHIGH=C:\DRIVERS\CDROM\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:MSCD001" (without the quotation marks).
In the above example, you have to copy "VIDE-CDD.SYS" to your DRIVERS\CDROM directory.

I don’t have any floppies to transfer it. I tried re arranging the drives in order of most to least and it’s not reading my cd drive, saying invalid, and giving a low space mem message even though I have enough.
Can you give a suggestion that doesn’t cause this issue ?

Here are the pictures. Please tell me what to edit here.

Attachments

Reply 6 of 9, by zapblast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
I actually forgot that DOS 5 does not support the mem /c command. You can try this: […]
Show full quote

You can try this:

Config.sys

DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILES=40
BUFFERS=30,0
LASTDRIVE=E
FCBS=4,0
STACKS=9,256

Autoexec.bat

@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $P$G

I've attached it here.

Also should I change my Synth which is a bit different to your suggestion which is:

And mine was buffers 15, and yours was buffers 30

Reply 7 of 9, by zapblast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Show full quote

You can try this:

Config.sys

DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILES=40
BUFFERS=30,0
LASTDRIVE=E
FCBS=4,0
STACKS=9,256

Autoexec.bat

@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $P$G

I've attached it here.

Both your exact config and auto edits you wrote out and my similar yet different arrangements result in the insufficient memory and D: cd rom drive resulting as in invalid drive specification.

How do I fix this?

Reply 8 of 9, by zapblast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Show full quote

You can try this:

Config.sys

DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILES=40
BUFFERS=30,0
LASTDRIVE=E
FCBS=4,0
STACKS=9,256

Autoexec.bat

@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $P$G

I've attached it here.

Tweaked some of options with the help of someone and finally drive error was removed and memory increased and game is running now with full sound and effects on sb but no speech even though sound blaster is selected.( that is my only selectable option btw)

What should I do to get the speech running at the same time with these settings ? run the dos sound ultility? Or manually change the IRQ to 5 instead of 7 or something else ?

I tried manually changing to 5 earlier but wi does didn’t have sound and it froze but I want to run it through anyway just worried it might be problematic . But maybe that could be fixed ?? What do you suggest about changing it or editing settings? Other than putting 5 instead of 7

Ps - the full sound and speech runs as it is now on Windows 3.1 but slower and slightly worse graphics in a box. There was a windows install option

I just want to fix the dos issue. And get the game to work.

Reply 9 of 9, by zapblast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Show full quote

You can try this:

Config.sys

DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILES=40
BUFFERS=30,0
LASTDRIVE=E
FCBS=4,0
STACKS=9,256

Autoexec.bat

@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $P$G

I've attached it here.

Hi it’s working!!! All it took was selecting thunder board for speech + sb16 for music instead of Sb16 + Sb16 after freeing up space using the methods I’ve adjusted, since this wasn’t working earlier, and tweeked alongside yours ! Thanks for the help