VOGONS

First post, by xXmobiusXx1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all can use some help on configuring DOS for best performance in games.

Before I continue the machine in question is a Pentium II 233 slot 1. on a Industrial BCMCOM 82440LX board ( http://www.bcmcom.com/tech/kr632/KR632.htm ) have 128mb/ 256mb ram ( overkill yes but all i can get a hold of ) Nvidia TNT 2 M64 32mb and sound blaster awe 64.

The main games that I am running are, Descent 1 & 2 Definitive Collection, Duke Nukem 3D, The Ultimate Doom, Heretic, Mechwarrior 2 and all expansions, and possibly other dos titles.

The drivers I am using for CD and mouse are VIDECDD and CTMOUSE along with FASTVID.

Now I have tried using the built in Memmaker and Qmem 97 9.0.

Everything runs, however Descent 1/2 have texture pop in, I have never faced that before.

So if anyone can help me get this thing configured properly that would be amazing and I have included my current configs for autoexec and config.sys

Thanks.

Attachments

• config.jpg
    Filename
    config.jpg
    File size
    441.99 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • autoexec.jpg
    Filename
    autoexec.jpg
    File size
    490.91 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 2 of 4, by will1384

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am having a similar problem on a P3 500MHZ system with 256MB memory and a PCI GeForce FX 5500, I use DOS 7.1, this computer only has ISA and PCI slots, I found out that using an ISA card will slow down a PCI card on this computer, but even when using both a PCI video card and PCI sound card, I was still getting a strange "surging" of speed and then a split second of slowness, one game in Windows 98se shows this off pretty well, Unreal Tournament 1999, I can run and move in the game with a full frame rate but then suddenly every few seconds the game slows down and drops to about half or less the normal frame rate and then almost instantly it's back to normal, I have the same problem on another computer, this other computer has a VIS C3 800MHZ CPU with 256MB memory and a integrated UniChrome video, the only similarity between the computers, other than the software they run, is they both use an SD to IDE adapter, and I think that's what the problem is, I am going to try to fiddle with SmartDrive and other disk caching and disk buffering software and settings to see if I can fix the problem.

Reply 3 of 4, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've never used QEMM (since I was always able to use DOS 6.xx's HIMEM.SYS & EMM386.EXE effectively to maximise my available memory).
The only change I would recommend is to remove the "DOS=HIGH' string from the 2nd last line in your Config.sys file and just amend the line at the top that currently states "DOS=UMB" to "DOS=HIGH,UMB".
Also, have you tried to "rem" the last line in your Autoexec.bat file (the one that has "fastvid" in)?

In the command prompt, type mem /c |more and show us a screen shot of that.
Regardless, I tend to agree with jmarsh - I don't think it's because of theconfiguration of your setup files.

Reply 4 of 4, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
will1384 wrote on 2020-06-21, 19:07:

I was still getting a strange "surging" of speed and then a split second of slowness, one game in Windows 98se shows this off pretty well, Unreal Tournament 1999, I can run and move in the game with a full frame rate but then suddenly every few seconds the game slows down and drops to about half or less the normal frame rate and then almost instantly it's back to normal

if this happens in windows games specifcially it could be due to vsync being on in the drivers. also smartdrive is not needed in win9x as vcache replaced it. i would also make sure to enable dma in device manager, if possible.