VOGONS

First post, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi All,

I recently picked up a really nice Compaq 7792 DMT laptop. The issue with it is that the FDD doesn't read disks and it didn't come with the CD-ROM Drive. The original Win95 Install is still present on the machine, but its a mess. I can get into windows and access the partitions. The Laptop has a 5gig Hard disk with 3 Partitions. I can get stuff on to the laptop in the form of a PCMCIA - Compact Flash Adapter.

This is my current plan

1.Copy all the required drivers and Win95 Folder to one of the partitions via the Compact Flash Adapter.
2.Boot into the Command Prompt via F8
3.Format C: Partition - Don't restart
4.Xcopy the Win95 Folder to the C: partition
5.Start the Setup for Win 95
6.Install Drivers after setup has finished.
7.Happiness that it all goes according to plan

Can you see any pitfalls or anything that could catch me out in my plan? Is there anything is could do to have access to the laptop from boot if it all does pear shaped? The FDD is recognized but its a Citizen W1D unit and i think the belt has failed as it wont read the disks.

Any expert advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 4, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It would be best to Format C: /S, so system files would be copied and even after rebooting command prompt would still work. But I'm not sure if it's possible to format C: /S the same drive you booted from, because system files are deleted in meantime...
XCOPY would also get deleted after formatting, so you need to have all that files somewhere else. Maybe try formatting another partition for example FORMAT E: /S, make it bootable with FDISK and copy necessary files there (before rebooting), also copy xcopy, format, fdisk, sys.com. Then you can format C: /S, copy win95 files there and make it bootable with FDISK, i guess...

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 2 of 4, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I managed to freshly install Win95 on this in the end. Copied the Win95 Folder onto the D partition. Formatted C:, then ran the setup and windows installed without a hitch.

I think the fact the drive was partitioned in to 3 was a big help in this instance.

Reply 4 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bancho wrote on 2020-07-29, 13:26:

I managed to freshly install Win95 on this in the end. Copied the Win95 Folder onto the D partition. Formatted C:, then ran the setup and windows installed without a hitch.

I think the fact the drive was partitioned in to 3 was a big help in this instance.

Yep!
I configure my systems like this for the exact same reason. It's faster, more reliable and simply more convenient then messing round with boot disks, CDs.

I've also got games installed on a separate partition. 9/10 games still work even if you reinstall windows. Saves having to reinstall EVEYY game