VOGONS

First post, by vacatedboat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

im trying to run star trek 5 the dos version on a real 386 machine. I bought the original when i was 14yrsold.
The problem is it halts on execution ofplaying any sound file with .snd extension. Researching tells me this is a format for tandy computers. Any workarounds or codecs to play snd files on win 3.1 would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Reply 1 of 19, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, I think I found your game at mobygames.com.🙂
https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/star-trek- … -final-frontier

If your DOS computer is a 386 or later, you can either use Tandem (Tandy 1000 emulator) or load TEMU.
TEMU emulates the Tandy 3-Voice sound via PC-Speaker or Covox-Plug.

Here's a recording that I made once:
Re: Covox speech thingy!!!

Edit: You could also install a 3-Voice sound card, of course.
People at vogons created such little soundcards. Lo-tech site also sells cards, if memory serves.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 19, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AFAICR, that game only supported PC speaker sound . Having a specific extension does not guarantee that a file is of specific type. Those snd files may well be in a proprietary format .

If the game is crashing on the same snd file every time, that file may just be corrupted . I would try renaming it and using a different one in its place .

Reply 3 of 19, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vacatedboat wrote on 2020-08-14, 09:34:

Researching tells me this is a format for tandy computers.

Even if they are a format intended for Tandy computers, there is surely an option somewhere that lets you select PC speaker sound instead of Tandy.

Any workarounds or codecs to play snd files on win 3.1 would be greatly appreciated

Are you suggesting that you are trying to run this game from within Windows? The vast majority of DOS games of that era required you to exit Windows before trying to run them.

Reply 5 of 19, by vacatedboat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2020-08-14, 11:27:
Hi, I think I found your game at mobygames.com.🙂 https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/star-trek- … -final-frontier […]
Show full quote

Hi, I think I found your game at mobygames.com.🙂
https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/star-trek- … -final-frontier

If your DOS computer is a 386 or later, you can either use Tandem (Tandy 1000 emulator) or load TEMU.
TEMU emulates the Tandy 3-Voice sound via PC-Speaker or Covox-Plug.

Here's a recording that I made once:
Re: Covox speech thingy!!!

Edit: You could also install a 3-Voice sound card, of course.
People at vogons created such little soundcards. Lo-tech site also sells cards, if memory serves.

Hi ive had some time to have a go at temu. If i load with pc speaker argument the computer just hangs. Im not sure how to run it. I dont own a covex device.
The .SND files my computer cant load. Not sure what i should try next.
Thanks

Reply 6 of 19, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vacatedboat wrote on 2020-08-14, 09:34:

The problem is it halts on execution ofplaying any sound file with .snd extension.

So what exactly leads you to conclude that this is the case? Especially when you don't even know what the .snd files are?

Maybe it is just hanging at those particular points by some coincidence. Did you install this game from its original disks?

Reply 7 of 19, by vacatedboat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I no longer have a physical floppy b drive anymore. So it was a dump on the c drive.
When i run the exe file it goes threw displays game images but stops. It displays at top of screen unable to load bitmap image redalert.snd. sometimes its phasers.snd
As im also having difficulty getting my pc speaker working i cant hear either (seperate post).

Reply 8 of 19, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vacatedboat wrote on 2020-08-25, 07:24:

I no longer have a physical floppy b drive anymore. So it was a dump on the c drive.
When i run the exe file it goes threw displays game images but stops. It displays at top of screen unable to load bitmap image redalert.snd. sometimes its phasers.snd
As im also having difficulty getting my pc speaker working i cant hear either (seperate post).

AFAICR, that game has an installer . Did you just copy the floppies' content to a directory and try running it from there or did you use the installer to install to a hard disk from the floppies? If you just copied the floppies, the cause of your problem probably lies there.

Reply 9 of 19, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vacatedboat wrote on 2020-08-25, 07:24:

I agree with the above poster: if this game used an installer, then "a dump on the c drive" may not work.

What exactly do you mean by that? Do you mean you copied the files right off the floppy, or are you using a copy from some other hard drive? What makes you think you need a "physical floppy b drive"?

If the error message says "unable to load bitmap image", then I don't think this has anything to do with sounds at all.

Reply 10 of 19, by vacatedboat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just copied from my old c drive onto the new c drive. The old maxtor drive started playing up so i did a complete reinstall of dos/win. But back then 20yrs ago i would have installed from my floppy b drive onto c. Was hoping that would be enough not to do install process.

Reply 11 of 19, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vacatedboat wrote on 2020-08-26, 04:49:

I just copied from my old c drive onto the new c drive. The old maxtor drive started playing up so i did a complete reinstall of dos/win. But back then 20yrs ago i would have installed from my floppy b drive onto c. Was hoping that would be enough not to do install process.

If the old drive was acting up, the installation may well be corrupted .

Reply 12 of 19, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vacatedboat wrote on 2020-08-26, 04:49:

I just copied from my old c drive onto the new c drive.

Do you have two hard drives plugged into the computer now? Is the new C drive actually "drive C", or does it have a new letter?

When you copied the game, did you use the same folder name when you copied it? Like, if it was originally installed to C:\GAMES\STV on the old drive, did you copy it to C:\GAMES\STV on the new drive?

Reply 13 of 19, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

.. I guess I shouldn't mention that the game can be played on-line at the Internet Archive ? 😕

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 19, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote on 2020-08-26, 09:08:

.. I guess I shouldn't mention that the game can be played on-line at the Internet Archive ?

The copy there has documentation that helpfully notes:

Attention: Core directory must be named "TREK5" !

So, indeed, if the directory name changed, that might explain the problems.

Reply 15 of 19, by vacatedboat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hooked up the failing hdd to my upstairs PC via a usb to ide cable things. I can then explore the drive and i just made a backup of everything. I then burnt a cd-r with everything on it and transferred what i wanted onto new drive. Very time consuming. I might have corupted something along the way.
I tried to keep the directory structure and know to use TREK5 as well. I continue to solve
Thanks

Reply 16 of 19, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vacatedboat wrote on 2020-08-26, 21:56:

I then burnt a cd-r with everything on it and transferred what i wanted onto new drive.

In that case the files might still have the read-only attribute set. That can mess things up.

Also, did you keep the subfolder structure? The copy on the Internet Archive has three folders in the same directory as st5.exe.

Reply 17 of 19, by vacatedboat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I thought i kept the 3 folders and directory tree. Will check.
I might just run the internet archive one just see it works. I may run mine under cga graphics to see if it gets passed the bitmap error also.

Reply 18 of 19, by vacatedboat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a quick update. Got the game to work. Happy guess i like a challenge in short i reformated the hdd and just installed dos 6.22 only. I also used a fdd emulator that uses a usb stick. I simply ran the st5.exe from the a: and it worked all the way. If others are interested i can provide a thorough explaining.

Reply 19 of 19, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vacatedboat wrote on 2020-09-25, 05:46:

I also used a fdd emulator that uses a usb stick. I simply ran the st5.exe from the a: and it worked all the way. If others are interested i can provide a thorough explaining.

Didn't you say you copied these files off an old hard drive? Why were you running it from a floppy emulator..?

I don't really need a thorough explaining, but future readers are going to have no idea how you wound up there.