VOGONS

First post, by phinix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying toi install DOS via VirtualBox on CF card.
I have VM set up, DOS images ready and set under virtual floppy, all good, installation starts and when I need to press ENTER continue, I cannot 🙁

I says I need to press ENTER but nothing happens when pressed. When I restart VM and on first screen press any other option key, like F3 to exit, F5 to turn off color, F1 for help - all works fine.
Only when I press Enter, I get message on grey strip below.

Do you guys know what the hell is happening?

Clipboard01.jpg
Filename
Clipboard01.jpg
File size
75.24 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, sorry, I don't know what's wrong here.
Last time, I installed MS-DOS 6.x in VBox, it worked fine.
That was on Mac (v4.1.4) - see https://youtu.be/c6e3FzI9Tuw

Anyway, maybe you can use another DOS that works better.
FreeDOS, PC-MOS/386, Caldera DOS..
Or you might want to give 86Box/PCem/Qemu/Bochs a try.
Once DOS is installed, use Win32DiskImager or WinImage to write the HDD image onto the CF card.

Good luck! 🙂

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 5, by phinix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2020-08-26, 22:21:
Hi, sorry, I don't know what's wrong here. Last time, I installed MS-DOS 6.x in VBox, it worked fine. That was on Mac (v4.1.4) - […]
Show full quote

Hi, sorry, I don't know what's wrong here.
Last time, I installed MS-DOS 6.x in VBox, it worked fine.
That was on Mac (v4.1.4) - see https://youtu.be/c6e3FzI9Tuw

Anyway, maybe you can use another DOS that works better.
FreeDOS, PC-MOS/386, Caldera DOS..
Or you might want to give 86Box/PCem/Qemu/Bochs a try.
Once DOS is installed, use Win32DiskImager or WinImage to write the HDD image onto the CF card.

Good luck! 🙂

I was wondering, would it be easier to simply make bootable CF card and get installed DOS from somewhere? Simply copy over files to CF?

Reply 3 of 5, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

why don't u just install msdos on a VM. U know like make a VM, and mount the floppy images of MSDOS in the VM and just install it like normal to a VM. Make your CF bootable, then copy the MS-DOS install from the VM onto the CF. Thats how I would do it.

Reply 4 of 5, by phinix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2020-08-27, 03:24:

why don't u just install msdos on a VM. U know like make a VM, and mount the floppy images of MSDOS in the VM and just install it like normal to a VM. Make your CF bootable, then copy the MS-DOS install from the VM onto the CF. Thats how I would do it.

OK, thanks, I tried that.

So I have created VM with DOS, then created virtual disk with CF USB card.
I went on VM, using fdisk created partitions on virtual disk (CF) and formatted it.
So now I have VM C drive with DOS and second drive in it, D: (CF card).
However every time I'm trying to copy over DOS files to D: drive, I'm getting general writing error.

What am I missing?

Reply 5 of 5, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No just format the CF and make it boot able like normal in windows. Then copy the contents of the Virtual Hard drive to the CF in windows.

If you are using VMware you can just mount a virtual disk and assign it as a drive letter in windows.
I am not sure how to do that in virtual box but i think you need a program called IMDISk

BTW I really do not understand what you are trying to do and why. I assume that you want to use the CF card with a preinstalled MSDOS on it as a hard drive in another computer.

Then again I do not see how creating a virtual disk on a CF you would think that another computer could boot from that.