VOGONS

First post, by Gopherman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First off, I'm pretty new to DOS gaming (grew up with Macs, only just now getting into other/older systems) so please excuse any dumb newbie mistakes I may be making.

I recently got a retro gaming PC (Pentium 4/Win98) and, since I'm a huge Doctor Who fan, got a copy of Dalek Attack to play in DOS mode. It installed just fine, and I was able to play it once, but now every time I put the floppy in the drive and run the exe, DOS gives me an error message saying "cannot load file ascii.dat" I've deleted and reinstalled the game multiple times, re-copied the ascii file from the floppy multiple times, and even replaced the ascii file in my install folder with one from myabandonware.com - all to no avail. I've also tried playing the game directly from the floppies, and while that gets me through the intro, it always crashes when I try to actually start the game. Does anyone know what might be causing this, and what (if anything) I can do to fix it?

Reply 1 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gopherman wrote on 2020-10-19, 18:18:

It installed just fine, and I was able to play it once, but now every time I put the floppy in the drive and run the exe, DOS gives me an error message saying "cannot load file ascii.dat"

This is unclear. How exactly did you install the game? Why do you need to put "the floppy in the drive" every time you need to run the game? Please try to be as precise as possible.

Reply 2 of 11, by Gopherman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed the game by running install.bat from disk 1 and then inserting disk 2 when prompted. And I need to put the floppy (by that I mean disk 1) in the drive every time I play the game because if I try to run drwho.exe from my hard drive without the disk in the floppy drive, I get a message that says "Please insert DR WHO disk 1."

Reply 3 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had a quick look at the version on the Internet Archive and was unable to reproduce that problem, but it is possible the version there is different from yours - especially as it has an install.exe and not an install.bat.

Can you provide the contents of install.bat ? It may yield some clues.

Reply 5 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When you would normally use install.bat, use the command "type install.bat" instead. (Hopefully it won't be too long to transcribe. Or you can take a picture of the screen.)

Reply 6 of 11, by Gopherman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@echo off
@echo.
@echo Dalek Attack installation program
@echo
IF "%1" == "" goto :error
cd %1\
md %1drwho
copy inst2.bat %1drwho
%drwho\inst2.bat %1
goto :end
:error
@echo ERROR: Destination disk not specified
@echo USAGE: INSTALL x:
@echo (Where x: is the name of your hard drive, usually C: or D:)
:end

Reply 7 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So when you ran "install.bat", does that mean you typed "install c:" ?

Do you have a directory named "drwho" on your hard drive? When you run the game, are you typing C:\DRWHO\DRWHO or are you typing "cd drwho" and then "drwho" ?

This is what I meant by "please try to be as precise as possible".

Reply 9 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm try cd to the game directory. Likely the game needs the working directory to be the same as the game

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, precisely. You need to run the game by typing

cd drwho
drwho

When you type C:\DRWHO\DRWHO , then drwho.exe will try to find ascii.dat (and all its other files) in C:\ , which will not work. Using the above commands will probably stop the game from trying to ask for its floppy disk as well.