VOGONS

First post, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The PC is a total overkill (Q8400/GTX 660)for this, but the game goes into a slideshow when the sky is filled with planes (which is pretty much every mission). I'm not going to spend too much time on this as the game is a bit meh anyway, but I just wanted to know if others had similar experiences and if they had problems with a fast CPU/GPU combo. I couldn't find any complaints about this or even a patch to fix it.

Reply 1 of 5, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry to necro this topic but I just ran into this today.

I ran it on the following systems:

Xeon 5690 w 780ti -> Runs terrible, performance is very bad.
Xeon 3230 w 9800 Pro -> Runs good
Athlon 3200+ w/ Voodoo 5500 w one TMU disabled -> Runs okish.

This game has an issue with something. Even the 9800 pro system that runs really well still has moments of slow down. It almost seems like it has to do with the leading aiming reticle and possibly shot calculation too...not sure.

Sorry for the very late reply.

Last edited by Shagittarius on 2024-03-11, 22:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 5, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an Athlon XP 3200+ with an ATI X800 AGP running XP SP3 and a couple other near-period correct cards, like the 9800 Pro and a Quadro 900XGL (GeForce 4600 Ti equivalent). I could try running this game too if it would help identify the hardware it has issues with. Never played it myself, could be fun

Reply 3 of 5, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've played it for a bit, its a very loose flight sim shooting gallery with good production values. You should check it out, also I would be interested to see if you have any issues. When you test leave the defaults before you try to turn everything up to check performance. Play the first mission, I notice sluggishness most when shooting. See what you come up with.

I think the performance in the case of my 3200+ was simply due to the capabilities of the Voodoo5 with only one Chip enabled. I wish I had that card running 100% to check it. I was running it on 98SE, however my XP system with the 780ti ran the worst so I dont think OS invalidates anything too much. I felt like I was able to get a slight performance improvement by setting the affinity to 1, but it still ran like crap so thats not the whole issue.

Reply 4 of 5, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I played it at the time and I remember it frequently, a not very difficult arcade game with decent graphics for the time and many curious details about planes and weapons that I didn't know at the time, it made me investigate the subject. I feel like playing it again, it's been so long.
The computer I had then would be an Athlon 850 with a Geforce 2mx if memory serves, of course, it may have been an XP 2100+ with a GF6600.
It's funny that in the Wikipedia article it says that the Messerschmitt Me 163 Komet couldn't be used in the single-player campaign and I swore that if it could be used, I'd have to dust off that game.

Reply 5 of 5, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I tested the game in WinME, a Pentium 4 2Ghz and a FireGL 8800, here I had to reduce the details and the resolution to make it fully playable.
I also tried it on Windows 7 32bits, an Athlon II X3 450 and an R7 260X.
It works perfectly, it's so easy to play, totally arcade, as I remember, I reached the third mission without any problem.
It doesn't look much like the IL-2 Sturmovik. 😉
Edit.
I also just tested it on Windows 7 64 a Phenom II X6 1100T 16Gb RAM and an OEM GTX760, and also without any problem, it's a shame that it doesn't allow me to use a resolution higher than 1280x960.