VOGONS

First post, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know version 10.63 was the last to support Windows 95. Did it work on 486 and Pentium systems? If not, cab anyone tell me what was the last version to work on either or both those platforms?

I prefer versions >= 8.5, as they are ad free, and I assume earlier versions will still force ads on me.

I plan to try this and Netscape (and possibly other free browsers) on my early systems when I finish clearing my work space and start setting up numerous retro systems.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 3 of 5, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember having tried Opera 9.x without Kernelex but in Windows 98 and a 486DX4 and it worked but really really slow. I suppose Opera 10.x is too heavy even for faster cpus. Also Opera 10.6x I suppose include HTML5 early stuff into the browser that improves compatibility but also slow down a lot the general usage. At the end we're thinking about 2010 browsers.. it's a miracle they did run that far.

Reply 4 of 5, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the answers. I'll try a few versions including 8.5, 9.5 and 10.63, and see which I prefer.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 5 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Kernelex is only for 98 and Me

Opera 10.70 Build 3488 (modified) is the latest to work with 95 but you'll still need a proxy to browse the modern web.
List of Web Browsers For All Operating Systems
Re: List of Web Browsers For All Operating Systems

You can also use Retrozilla but you'll still need a proxy to browse the modern web.
Links 2.18 should work for DOS (last ver I tested)
Links 2.1 should work for 95 (last ver I tested)

You are likely better off booting a Linux distro if you don't want to use a proxy but would still be limited depending on how old the browser is and the memory and cpu power of the machine.
Use ad blockers and/or host files.
Disable javascript

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline