VOGONS

First post, by captain_zins

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings, everbody.

Thanks to all the helpful information this fantastic board has to offer I've managed to set up a retro gaming machine using an old Thinkpad T42. It works almost perfectly except one minor issue that I just can't solve by myself.

My setup looks like this:

• Thinkpad T42 23744WG
  • Pentium 1.7 GHz
  • 1 GB RAM
  • ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 32MB
  • SoundMAX Integrated Audio
  • Intel 855PM Chipset
  • DirectX 9.0c
  • Windows 98SE & XP as a dual boot.

And here's the problem:

While some games run perfectly and with no noticeable issues at all (Need for Speed 3, Stracraft, Commandos), others suffer from short freezes that last for a fraction of a second and seem to be sound-related. Namely Half-Life (Opposing Force), Duke Nukem 3D, Dungeon Keeper 2, and Command & Conquer.

I've discovered that these short freezes only occur right before new sound effects are played for the first time. The whole game just hangs for a brief moment. These are for instance shots in Duke Nukem 3D or speeches in Half-Life's training course. But when the same effects are repeated for a second time no freeze occurs.

To me it looks like these sounds have to be loaded in some kind of cache which seems to be the bottleneck. Because, if you play for a while and then restart the whole game everything up to the point you've played before works fine. Every sound effect that has been used during the first play, now doesn't cause a freeze. Also, a fresh installation of the game completely removes the issue — until the computer is restarted. I was even able to get rid of the issue by just copying the game files of Duke Nukem 3D from one directory to another before starting the game.

The problem is noticeable in Windows 98SE and XP as well. But sound and music in general work absolutely fine (CD audio, mp3, wav). Could it still be a driver issue? I'm using different driver versions in each system (98SE: 5.12.01.3600; XP: 5.12.1.5450).

Any help is much appreciated.

Best regards
Captain Zins

Reply 1 of 8, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Strange. The only thing I can think of is an issue with your hard disk. If it's got difficulty reading, it could be that copying the game puts it in the Windows file cache, which then speeds up reading. You could check if DMA is enabled for your hard disk and that the Windows event log doesn't report any errors.

Reply 3 of 8, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could be a bad HDD cable/connection causing intermittent transfer errors, which trigger a device reset but normally aren't noticeable unless you're in the middle of a game...
Some aged laptop drives also like to run their thermal recalibration very often, which makes them inaccessible for a brief second or two.
The errors would be visible in the event viewer on windows XP.

Reply 4 of 8, by captain_zins

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your suggestions and for pointing me towards the hard drive! It helped a little:

Most of my games are installed on a second hard drive that I've put in the Thinkpad's CD-ROM slot. Unfortunately, that second hard drive does not support DMA. So I reinstalled Duke Nukem 3D and Half-Life on the main drive instead and with DMA enabled.

That actually reduces the issue in Windows XP. Now freezes in Half-Life are much less predictable. They still occur from time to time and right before sound effects are played. It's definitely tolerable, though.

BUT in Windows 98SE the issue remains the same despite DMA being activated. Duke Nukem 3D and Half-Life still have completely predictable freezes right before sounds are used for the first time. 🙁

There aren't any errors in the Windows XP Event Viewer, by the way. I wish there were...

megatron-uk wrote on 2021-03-09, 15:47:

Hard drive set to spin down, by any chance?

Does an option like this even exist in Windows 98SE or XP? I expected it to be in the power management settings but couldn't find anything.

Any other advice perhaps?

--
Captain Zins

Reply 5 of 8, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
captain_zins wrote on 2021-03-10, 16:00:
Does an option like this even exist in Windows 98SE or XP? I expected it to be in the power management settings but couldn't fin […]
Show full quote
megatron-uk wrote on 2021-03-09, 15:47:

Hard drive set to spin down, by any chance?

Does an option like this even exist in Windows 98SE or XP? I expected it to be in the power management settings but couldn't find anything.

Any other advice perhaps?

--
Captain Zins

It could be the actual drives themselves - it's part of the ATA spec and can be enabled/disabled at will on many drives, regardless of the host OS power management features. I wouldn't normally mention it, since it's generally disabled by default on desktop drives (except for things like 'Green' or 'eco' drives), but being a laptop it's a fair chance that the drives will have it enabled.

I would have thought you would see more of an impact in general use if it was the case, but it's worth checking, regardless.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 6 of 8, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
captain_zins wrote on 2021-03-10, 16:00:

Are you sure DMA is ticked for the hard drive in the Win98 device manager?
Also, your BIOS might have power options pertaining the hard disk or maybe the bus.
It would be interesting to test Duke3D in pure DOS mode, although you might not be able to get your sound card to work that way.

Reply 7 of 8, by captain_zins

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Oetker wrote on 2021-03-10, 17:33:

Are you sure DMA is ticked for the hard drive in the Win98 device manager?
Also, your BIOS might have power options pertaining the hard disk or maybe the bus.
It would be interesting to test Duke3D in pure DOS mode, although you might not be able to get your sound card to work that way.

Yes, it's definitely ticked and has a serious effect on benchmarking. I've also checked the BIOS options: Everything power related is set to maximum performance.

Unfortunately, the integrated sound chip doesn't work in pure DOS mode. There aren't any DOS drivers available.

Reply 8 of 8, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe its a directsound issue? Have you tried cleaning and installing a different version of directx?

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB