VOGONS

First post, by toothpick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

So I need some help or advice on how-to install Windows 98 SE on an SSD using a SATA=> IDE converter.

Info:

Motherboard: MS-6119 flashed with version 2.9 Award Bios
SSD: 128 GB Kingston (formatted to FAT32 using Gparted)

When I boot the computer the system identifies the SSD drive as the primary IDE disk. However, I get stuck at the boot-up showing "Systems Configurations" from there I'm stuck I've tried most settings I can think about in the BIOS and tried FAT16 on the SSD etc., without any success.

Any feedback or guidance would be more than welcome!

Best regards,
Fredrik

Attachments

Reply 1 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you are in the BIOS, what size does it detect the SSD as?

I probably would not leave it as a single 128GB because a lot of old software will freak out and say there isn't enough storage space available.

I'm guessing without the SSD hooked up, it goes past the System Configuration screen properly and you can boot from the floppy drive?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 11, by toothpick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-03-12, 21:55:

If you are in the BIOS, what size does it detect the SSD as?

I probably would not leave it as a single 128GB because a lot of old software will freak out and say there isn't enough storage space available.

I'm guessing without the SSD hooked up, it goes past the System Configuration screen properly and you can boot from the floppy drive?

Hello, right now it setup as in AUTO detection of the drive and yes without the SSD it goes pass it . With differnet settings I've run FDISK but it wont start as the drive isnt identified.

UPDATE:

So when I go into the IDE AUTO DETECTION sections of the BIOS and I start to try/identify the drive it just crashes.

Best regards,
Fredrik

Reply 4 of 11, by toothpick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2021-03-12, 22:28:

Have you set the jumpers on this adapter correctly and otherwise using it correctly? Have you another to try? Adapters are usually very cheap things from China and occasionally are buggy.

This is the adapter im using and it doesnt have any jumpers on it.

Attachments

Reply 5 of 11, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Set the Disksize in your bios to the max supported by the bios (8G, 32G, 64G, 127G, ...). this should allow the max size for dos and any software that uses the bios routines.
Software like windows 2k or linux can probably see the whole disk without tweaking, though might need tweaking to get them to boot from the disk.
oh and if possible use LBA mode, if not just set the max possible values for the CHS parameters, like 2047,255,63 (which would be ~16G) set the S value to 63, it tends to be the highest value the bios supports, then the H at 255, and then play with the C value, 1023 for 8G, 4095 for 32G ...
If it (the bios) hangs for any of those values, just work your way up from the previous lower working value.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 6 of 11, by toothpick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2021-03-12, 22:45:
Set the Disksize in your bios to the max supported by the bios (8G, 32G, 64G, 127G, ...). this should allow the max size for dos […]
Show full quote

Set the Disksize in your bios to the max supported by the bios (8G, 32G, 64G, 127G, ...). this should allow the max size for dos and any software that uses the bios routines.
Software like windows 2k or linux can probably see the whole disk without tweaking, though might need tweaking to get them to boot from the disk.
oh and if possible use LBA mode, if not just set the max possible values for the CHS parameters, like 2047,255,63 (which would be ~16G) set the S value to 63, it tends to be the highest value the bios supports, then the H at 255, and then play with the C value, 1023 for 8G, 4095 for 32G ...
If it (the bios) hangs for any of those values, just work your way up from the previous lower working value.

Thanks will test the above. I'll keep you posted on the progress

Reply 7 of 11, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Such is the nightmare of protocol conversion, the SSD and SATA-IDE converter simply do not compatible with your mobo BIOS at the time. It is highly unlikely that anything can be fixed in this case without replacing any of them. You could try forcing PIO Mode 0/2 if the mobo BIOS had the option. Otherwise, you may want to consider using a different SSD or different SATA-IDE converter. A different mobo (more recent BIOS) may allow you to keep the same SSD and SATA-IDE, but I guess this is not desired.

Reply 8 of 11, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This page shows a BIOS that "Supports IDE hard drive over 65 GB". Of course care is needed to be sure it's for the version of the board you have. https://us.driverscollection.com/?H=MS-6119&B … star%29&SS=BIOS

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 9 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To help isolate the issue, can you try with
A 120GB IDE hard drive or even a 120GB SATA one through your adapter ?

Also, while I am sure many people have had great experience with generic no-name SATA to IDE adapters using unknown chips, plenty have had odd problems .

IMHO, life is too short to try and and save a few dollars and by getting some mystery meat adapter instead of something with at least an identiable bridge chip model .

Reply 10 of 11, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
toothpick wrote on 2021-03-12, 22:34:
kolderman wrote on 2021-03-12, 22:28:

Have you set the jumpers on this adapter correctly and otherwise using it correctly? Have you another to try? Adapters are usually very cheap things from China and occasionally are buggy.

This is the adapter im using and it doesnt have any jumpers on it.

I use a virtually identical ones that does have jumpers on one side. Some of these red one are known to have issues, I usually buy a bunch (around 10) and just find one that works. What does the other side look like? Have you got it plugged into the correct SATA port? They are not the same.

Reply 11 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here are some of the threads where I have posted about my experiences with SATA to IDE adapters . Maybe they will be helpful .

Re: Master/Slave option for modern storage
Re: Planning to install SSD in my Windows 98 machine. Help, advice, suggestions, etc.?
Re: Gigabyte 6bxc with PCI SATA HBA