VOGONS

First post, by Grayshazzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey everyone, so I just recently got SP2 installed on my HDD and everything works great. I have DirectX 9c along with the proper chipset drivers for the D815EEA2 MB with 512MB of RAM. This is because I have 98 on another drive is well so I just wanted this OS to handle some of the early XP low running games from my childhood. Every game works (even when loaded on an optical drive) besides one game in my list that is Ollo in the Sunny Valley Fair. It says that the program had a problem starting up and when I go to the log I get error 0xc0000005 (I will attach the log). Also, just a FYI, I have no internet hooked up and even went out of my way to remove the services from the feature list and startup services related to networking to free up some resources because why not. This as a result made me question if I should update through internet or attempt to but I do not know if any services will be available. Will SP3 fix all this related to .DLLs and whatnot? I have tried sfc /scannow and that didn't seem to work so I think the OS if pretty healthy, count me wrong though. I have also tried the last .NET Framework supported on SP2 (x86/Pentium III system) but no cigar. Lastly I am having a problem with another game, Rival Ball. On bootup, I get a registry .DLL error even though it exists in the system32 folder, I have tried overwriting it with a clean one but same error. Could all this be tied to the same problem as Ollo? Thanks everyone, have a good rest of your day/night.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 5, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

could be because reggetvalueA is not supported in ADVAPI32 on XP and is a vista + feature and only reggetvalueEX works on XP32bit. Maybe your version of the game is not for XP and is for vista or xp64bit. So you can try finding a older version of the game. Thing is VS 2007/2010 fully works on xpsp2 but because the game is using functions that XP 32 bit doesn't use it doesn't run.

Reply 2 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Your posts will be easier to read if you try to use some line breaks to space them out a little bit.

Grayshazzle wrote on 2021-05-07, 22:30:

and even went out of my way to remove the services from the feature list and startup services related to networking to free up some resources because why not.

Because sometimes something that appears to only be related to networking has other more subtle purposes you may not know about.

I have also tried the last .NET Framework supported on SP2 (x86/Pentium III system) but no cigar.

.NET is not backwards-compatible. A program that requires .NET 2.0 will not work just because you have .NET 3.5 installed.

Reply 4 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Grayshazzle wrote on 2021-05-08, 04:45:

as for .NET Framework, I have also tried 2.0 on XP but that didn't work either for Ollo.

It is rather pointless trying to guess what it needs. It seems that if programs require a particular version of .NET, then they will give a specific error message. (Unfortunately that error message probably won't say anything about .NET, but it can at least be Googled.)

Reply 5 of 5, by Grayshazzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2021-05-08, 16:27:
Grayshazzle wrote on 2021-05-08, 04:45:

as for .NET Framework, I have also tried 2.0 on XP but that didn't work either for Ollo.

It is rather pointless trying to guess what it needs. It seems that if programs require a particular version of .NET, then they will give a specific error message. (Unfortunately that error message probably won't say anything about .NET, but it can at least be Googled.)

True, I will keep looking, thank you.