VOGONS

First post, by Dester

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I'm trying to access my QNAP shares from a 486 machine, where a fresh Win95 OSR2 is installed. The network is up and running, but when I try to browse the NAS, a password window pops up as follows (let's assume that the UNC of the NAS is NAS):
\\NAS - enter password for \\NAS\IPC$
\\NAS\sharename - enter password for \\NAS\sharename

But no passwords are accepted.
For Win98SE, I faced the same, but after installing the package Active Directory services client extensions from the unofficial Windows 98 SP3, it worked instantly. Are there any packages of this available for Windows 95 as well? I think this might be the solution.

Checklist:

• the NAS is a QNAP TS-228 NAS, all SMB versions enabled from 1.0 to 3.0, and otherwise the shares are functional
  • I don't want to use FTP if a network share is doable
  • I played already along, I have the same user/pass as one of the users on NAS
  • Workgroup name is matching everywhere
  • Login mode is Login to Microsoft Network
  • I did everything the same way as I did on Win98 USP3 and Win2000 SP4

Thanks in advance!

Dester
I feel like I could... like I could... like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!

Reply 1 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can ssh into your qnap, edit the smb conf file and enable ntlmv1 and lanman if you don't want to bother with setting up Windows 95 for NTLMV2 or according to my notes from when I last did this and checking against https://blog.udance.com.au/2017/07/10/stronge … -for-windows-95 :

1. Install IE4 (If you do the full install of Active Directory Update)
2. Install Winsock 2
3. Install "Active Directory Update" or just copy vnetsup.vxd and vredir.vxd to the SYSTEM directory.
4. Add this registry key

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\control\LSA]
"LMCompatibility"=dword:00000003

Last edited by DosFreak on 2021-05-09, 12:21. Edited 3 times in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Or just use Windows 98SE and save yourself the trouble - it's what Win 3.11 is to Win 3.0.

Btw, Windows 9x used permissions per folder; Windows NT uses permissions per user.
At the core, they have a completely different concept of network security.

Some links/sources can be found here:
Windows 98 PC suddenly stopped appearing in the Network on my main (Windows 7) PC

Edit: I did forget - please never let old Windows machines connect to the internet (a pure retro LAN is fine). Especially without a supervision.
It's grossly negligent. People behaved in such a bad way in the late XP days. 😰
IMHO such people should be hold accountable for any damage in case their PCs become part of a bot net.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 8, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can also use WebDAV on QNAP to access your NAS share from Windows 95.
On the Windows 95 side you'll need at least IE5 with the optional webfolders feature installed.

Here's a little guide:
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl … n.htm&sandbox=1

💾 Windows 9x resources (drivers, tools, NUSB,...) 💾

Reply 4 of 8, by Dester

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2021-05-09, 11:05:
https://blog.udance.com.au/2017/07/10/stronge … -for-windows-95 : […]
Show full quote

https://blog.udance.com.au/2017/07/10/stronge … -for-windows-95 :

2. Install Winsock 2
3. Install "Active Directory Update" or just copy vnetsup.vxd and vredir.vxd to the SYSTEM directory.
4. Add this registry key

REGEDIT4

This was the correct solution, thank you very much 😀 (Instead of IE4 I installed 5.5.)

Answering the other ideas:
I did not want to SSH into the NAS and make edits directly. I'm not scared, but the NAS is even sensitive to restarting or firmware upgrades - don't ask why. There are two 10 TB HDDs inside and I'm just happy when it works.
This machine I was talking about is a 486 DX4-100 with 16MB RAM, and I did not want to install Win98SE on purpose. I have Voodoo1/2/3 machines as well with Win98SE, I wanted to install an authentic OS on this one- this will be my only Win95 machine. (I also have a 386 DX40, I installed Win3.11 there. And unfortunately I could not manage to access the shares from that machine yet, too.)

WebDav would be okay, but I'd rather use FTP 😀

Thanks again, everyone!

Last edited by Dester on 2021-05-10, 06:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Dester

Reply 5 of 8, by Dester

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2021-05-09, 12:01:

Edit: I did forget - please never let old Windows machines connect to the internet (a pure retro LAN is fine). Especially without a supervision.
It's grossly negligent. People behaved in such a bad way in the late XP days. 😰
IMHO such people should be hold accountable for any damage in case their PCs become part of a bot net.

Really good that you mentioned, thanks. I will restrict these machines. (Everything is behind MikroTiK routers and firewalls, but better be safe than sorry. Accessing the internet is only interesting, but accessing the LAN is much more important.)

Dester

Reply 6 of 8, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2021-05-09, 12:01:

Or just use Windows 98SE and save yourself the trouble - it's what Win 3.11 is to Win 3.0.

Win 3.11 is just win3.1 with half a dozen core system files upgraded.
Wfw3.11 is just Wfw3.1 with extra network card drivers and the same core system files upgraded as per Win3.1.

As for bot nets I've had aboslutely no issues with win9x and below, NT up on the other hand.........

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 7 of 8, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those old operating systems require SMB v1 support. On newer windows and many NASes, you could enable support for that, but this opens you up for all kinds of nasty security holes.

What i've done is that i have a linux VM in my modern workstation. When i need my retro stuff access the SMB shares, i'll run the VM and later shut it down.
The VM mounts the shares from NAS and then re-shares them with SMB v1 support. With my retro machines, i connect to the VM for those shares instead of NAS directly.

Works perfectly.

(In addition, i've made the VM to act as dial-up ISP, so i can also enjoy 33,6k internet speeds over COM port, if i don't want to go with ethernet 😀 )

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 8 of 8, by IcySon55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2021-05-09, 11:05:
You can ssh into your qnap, edit the smb conf file and enable ntlmv1 and lanman if you don't want to bother with setting up Wind […]
Show full quote

You can ssh into your qnap, edit the smb conf file and enable ntlmv1 and lanman if you don't want to bother with setting up Windows 95 for NTLMV2 or according to my notes from when I last did this and checking against https://blog.udance.com.au/2017/07/10/stronge … -for-windows-95 :

2. Install Winsock 2
4. Add this registry key

REGEDIT4

Hmmm, I ran all of these steps and it's still unable to connect to my TrueNAS or any other share.

I'm still just seeing the \\TRUENAS\IPC$, unable to enter a username and it won't accept the password.

This is on my IBM Aptiva rebuilt from the recovery disc. Running Windows 95 OSR 2 (maybe?) 4.00.950 B.

Updates:
Microsoft Plus!
IE 4 SP2
Winsock 2
Active Directory Update + NTLM2
Common Controls Update

Any ideas?

EDIT: I figured it out! Along with all of the requirements already mentioned, you also need to use "Client for Microsoft Networks" as the Primary Network Logon in Control Panel > Network.

Then when logging into your Win95 machine, use the same username and password that you use to access the NAS share.

And then it works!