VOGONS

First post, by starhawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This has been an absolute RIDICULOUS sequence of events.

So I *finally* got around to fixing my Compaq Portable III... or, well, I got about halfway 👎 This system uses the classic 'trick' of a Dallas Semi battery-backed RTC+RAM -- that of course had its battery expire sometime around the beginning of BIll Clinton's first term -- to store the BIOS settings. Oh, and I didn't get any software with it, except whatever's on the hard drive... which I can't access, because the BIOS Setup isn't flipping in ROM, it's on a "Diagnostics Disk" that I don't have.

OK, easy enough, I found the download at the OldComputers entry for the machine -- http://oldcomputers.net/compaqiii.html -- all I have to do is wire in a battery to the original chip, since Dallas Semi was lazy and because they made versions of the chip with and without an internal battery -- where the "without" means it's meant to have an *external* battery and there's pins for that -- for the internal-battery version they clip those pins short inside the chip package. Turns out it's easy to expose them again, and solder a new battery on. After that, all I need to do is make a 360k floppy disk. Easy afternoon project.

Ohhh boy.

Apparently my 486 Toshiba suddenly no longer works for unknown reasons despite swapping literally everything around because I have two parts machines in a box so why not. I swear I've swapped everything that wasn't case bits and it's still freezing for no reason pre-POST-beep. I'll figure that out later.

Also, the disk imaging utility is INCREDIBLY stupid. It's actually two disks, and if you don't have a 360k drive, screw you! It won't make the disks... and neither of my two such drives actually seem to work. Maybe. I don't know any more.

I'm East Coast USA. I have $10 PayPal for anyone willing to send me two working disks, via domestic USPS. (Both FedEx and UPS are *gloriously* unreliable in my area.

Last edited by starhawk on 2021-05-13, 05:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 2, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

could feel the frustration in your post, we've all experienced that with older PCs I'm sure, sometimes the circuitous route we end up taking to get something done is maddening !

glad it worked out for you