VOGONS

First post, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I though I'd try out Win98 on this board and I combined it with a new Silicon Power SSD. The install went fine, and I tried ATTO disk benchmark fresh out of the box. The speed was abysmal, so I went in search of chipset drivers, and installed the Intel 6.30.1007. Everything looked fine in Device Manager, so I tried ATTO again, but there was no improvement, it was still reading about 6 MB/S.

To try and sort it out, I wiped the drive and installed Win XP, and it performed as I expected. I could not find any other drivers that I thought might affect this issue, so if any of you know what I'm missing, TIA.

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 1 of 3, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

did you actually align the partition or did you just create it with a 98 bootdisk? you have to format the drive and create the partition under a newer OS and then scandisk on those older OS will probably complain, it's kind of messy really. maybe the performance hit with NTFS is smaller than with FAT32, also with NTFS i believe you can align it after the fact.

also i think intel also used to distribute some seperate ultra ATA driver package during that time, does the readme for that .inf driver say it is included or not?

Reply 2 of 3, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Partition alignment shouldn't affect speed to that degree though.

Drivers maybe. Or the fact that Win98 and SATA controllers can be weird. How is the chipset configured in the bios? Doesn't Intel have some native and legacy modes? I haven't used 865/875 in years sadly. Sometimes it's just easier to use a SATA PATA adapter.

Reply 3 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The answer was in the other sub-forum. OP needed to enable DMA manually.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK