VOGONS

First post, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm considering playing through this game on my Pentium MMX machine, but there's an issue. The game runs fairly well on it, except for some reason my CD-ROM drive has a lot of trouble reading at least disc 1. Every time it tries to access something it keeps spinning up and slowing down constantly, causing unbearable loading times. No, I don't have any other drives to use in the machine, this is the best working drive I have for it. Fyi, my copy of the game is the Dreamcatcher US release from the early 2000s. I looked up no-cds but none of them are useful at all, they still require you to use CDs to play. Someone on Vogons made a patch for the original Atlantis to play the game entirely from the hard drive and that works perfectly, so does such a thing exist for this game too? Thanks.

Reply 1 of 7, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wiki said that original cd is secure rom DRM, which can be defeated with "Atlantis II v1.0 [INTL/ALL] CD-Copy/Fixed EXE" I wont link it but I found it on googles. However you still need the CD to play the game. So you should be able to make a ISO with alcohol 120 and mount the iso so it reads it off the HDD. Or you should be able to use that patch and make a ISO and mount it with daemon tools. I don't know of no cd patches, but I am sure there is none.

You can't get rid of the CD but you can write the ISO to a HDD which should fix your problem.

Reply 2 of 7, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alright, thanks for the suggestion. Perhaps I'll try that sometime, though idk if there was ever a version of Daemon Tools that'll work on Windows 95. Maybe I'll try the game on my Athlon XP Windows 98 machine, too, though I have no clue if it'll work on there or not. Fyi, the original game is extremely picky on what hardware it'll run on. My Pentium MMX 233 Windows 95 machine is the only computer I have that runs it absolutely perfectly. On that Win98 machine the game is totally broken, not sure if that also applies to the sequel.

Reply 6 of 7, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Overmann wrote on 2021-08-06, 01:56:

You could always grab a DRM free copy of the game over at Fireflower games for 5 bucks.

I'm not one to re-buy a game digitally that I already own a physical copy of, but thanks anyways. I found my copy at a thrift store for I think 50 cents, so even $5 is significantly higher.

Reply 7 of 7, by Overmann

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
thepirategamerboy12 wrote on 2021-08-06, 04:23:

I'm not one to re-buy a game digitally that I already own a physical copy of, but thanks anyways. I found my copy at a thrift store for I think 50 cents, so even $5 is significantly higher.

Gotcha, sounds like a good policy.