VOGONS

First post, by arianon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been recently working on restoring a Gateway 2000 4dx2-66v, very similar to my family's first computer. I'm really hoping to introduce my son to some point and click adventure games and play through some of my favorites and decided to start with Loom.

I'm trying to play the EGA version, and the game starts just fine, but the sound is extremely scratchy and you can't make out anything. Has anyone come across something like this before?

System Specs:
486 DX2 66 with 64KB of cache (I tried disabling the cache)
16 MB of memory (I tried disabling EMM386 to see if that was messing with it somehow)
Audician 32 Plus (supports Adlib which I've read is what this game uses)

I've tested sound in other games, including Adlib support in Quest for Glory 2 and it worked just fine. At this point I'm not sure if there is something wrong with the version of Loom I'm using or if anyone has any recommendations?

Thanks much in advance!

Ari

Reply 1 of 4, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a similar issue before with Loom EGA's audio being totally messed up, but that was fixed by disabling the cache using the Setmul tool. Is that what you used when you said you tried disabling the cache? Other than that, I wouldn't know what else to suggest.