VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been having problems where I would encounter strange behavior and bad opcode errors. I managed to solve this issue by removing xhdd.sys from my config.sys.

The issue appears to be caused by XHDD, which is excellent when UDMA is available. But I think there is a bug when this feature is not present; in this case, when I have only a PIO4 disk connected.

I tested this on both an Intel and SiS IDE controller which supports ATA33 in BIOS. When the PIO4 disk is connected, XHDD reports an "I.D./mode error" but I think it has already set itself up with a cache. The cache provides a performance boost when observing burst transfers but provides no benefits for sustained reads and writes, as expected. I don't know what the issue is specifically but it is 100% reproducible when loading Doom.

My config.sys for testing is very basic and loads himem.sys but not emm386. There are no other memory managers present. The system is unstable even if I swap himem for himemx. I have tested and reproduced the same issue on a SiS chipset Socket 7 with an AMD processor and an Intel chipset Slot 1 with a Pentium 2.

The lengthy crash method which reports and invalid opcode is output from killer.exe; the system will instead just hard lock without this TSR installed or in some cases even with it loaded.

Has anyone else had any problem similar to this with XHDD?

IMG_20210811_231307.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210811_231307.jpg
File size
419.93 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20210811_220210.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210811_220210.jpg
File size
1.63 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 1, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Could you show the rest of CONFIG.SYS file and AUTOEXEC.BAT?

I don't use XHDD but for the Intel chipset there is a driver which enables DMA bus mastering in case PIO is forced by the BIOS. For disk cache utility you can use FreeDOS LBACACHE instead if you don't want to use SMARTDRV.

KILLER.EXE from Vincent Penquerc'h? This TSR normally doesn't come with a legitimate MS-DOS installation and it causes the program to close when an invalid opcode occurs.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS