VOGONS

First post, by mike_canada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Arachne 1.70 is a graphical web browser for DOS.

I made myself a bootable CD that is basically an emulated hard disk.
I put the CD into a new external CD/DVD drive attached to my (old) dell wyse thin client.
Booting is OK, and the file contents are shown on drive C which is also OK. I also see that drive C is read-only which I could understand since CDs are normally not-writable.

But now, I run arachne. I can setup my network configuration OK, but I noticed that the image processing plugins (arachne APM files) behave very strange and I can confirm this on the DOS commandline itself.

The two files meant for image processing that come with Arachne are DJPEG32.EXE and PNG2BMP.EXE. Regardless of whatever program arguments I use, if I execute either of those files, I get this message:

Write protect error writing drive C
Abort, Retry, Fail?

If I press "F" for DJPEG32.EXE then I see a list of parameters I could use but they don't change how the program starts up.

If I press "F" for PNG2BMP.EXE then I get this message:

Warning: cannot open swap file c:\cwsdpmi.swp

The memory situation is as follows after the core drivers (xmsdsk, mouse, fetpkt) are loaded:

XMS memory:

64MB total accessible by system. (thin client actually has 256MB)
32MB is used for a ramdrive. XMSDSK is a handy utility for this.
32MB is free

514KB conventional memory is free.

Is there a way I can make the programs above not attempt to write to the C drive?

Reply 2 of 5, by mike_canada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote on 2021-08-12, 21:51:

Maybe don't try to use the program on a read-only drive, and use a RAM drive instead

That is exactly what I did. I setup my bootable hard-drive emulated CD so that the first things it does is allocate a ram drive then copy every file over to it then changes the drive to the ram drive so the CD doesn't need to be used anymore (until a reboot).

So then I decided to download and try Arachne 1.97 GPL (the latest version), I run the image with the emulator and things seem to work there and there's more options with screen resolution in 1.97, but when I try that version on my Dell Wyse thin client, the graphical screen won't even load, but it would load in arachne version 1.70

Reply 3 of 5, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hardly surprising considering it wasn't designed to do that.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 4 of 5, by mike_canada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, so back to Arachne 1.70 I go since it loads properly. The arachne 1.9x builds don't even load right. The ray's version takes forever to load before I get a colored arrow and some screen.
The other port of arachne 1.9x (from glennmcc website) doesn't even load a graphics screen.

I think my next stop is Dillo web browser because there's a DOS port, but it seems Arachne 1.70 is less memory intensive.

What's crazier is that I had to search the net far and wide for Arachne 1.70 and this is it here:

http://info.elf.stuba.sk/packages/pub/pc/comm/archn170.exe

Can someone please upload that file to the vogons downloads section so people who want a working arachne in most environments can easily download it?

Reply 5 of 5, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mike_canada wrote on 2021-08-12, 23:41:
keenmaster486 wrote on 2021-08-12, 21:51:

Maybe don't try to use the program on a read-only drive, and use a RAM drive instead

That is exactly what I did. I setup my bootable hard-drive emulated CD so that the first things it does is allocate a ram drive then copy every file over to it then changes the drive to the ram drive so the CD doesn't need to be used anymore (until a reboot).

Oh sorry, I missed that!

Maybe try 1.97 GPL with the 16-bit real mode version?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.