VOGONS

First post, by Clickie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

following Phil's Computer Lab on YouTube. I have just put together a Pentium 4 Windows 98 machine.

I have installed windows 98 which seems to be running fine, until i install the Intel chipset driver 6.3.0.1007. The problem is as soon as the install finishes then the computer reboots, it goes though the bios info then to the Win98 splash screen then goes black with a flashing "_". I left the machine to run for about 30 mins but no luck. I can reset the machine and boot into safe mode no problem, its just when i run Windows normally

i got a AsRock P4i65g, which come bundled with 3.2ghz P4 and 2 sticks of 1 gig of 400 ddr ram (which i removed one stick). as for graphics i got a geforce4 ti 4200. i had a 240 gig ssd drive spare so i ended up using that and made a 30 gig partition to install windows on. also got a sound blaster Audigy 2 ZS.

i have done 3 Win98 installs so far, i don't have a CD drive just yet, that should be coming in the next 1-2 days so i have been installing it through a easy2boot USB drive (which is incredibly slow). from there i install the mass storage USB driver (nusb33e) then transfer the rest of the drivers (chipset, LAN, NVIDIA, etc) on the the c:\ and run them no problem. on the last Win98 install i used the Intel 5.02.1003 drivers but it still happened.

So I am now stuck, the only thing i can thing of is it might be the ssd being too high volume even though its formatted to a 30 gig partition or maybe the ram might need to be 512 gig. but before i buy some random stuff that might not work i thought i ask for some advice.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 13, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wonder if it needs files from the win98 setup that it can't access until it loads the USB driver, I'd dump the whole directory to local hard disk and setup from there.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 13, by Clickie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-08-20, 18:50:

I wonder if it needs files from the win98 setup that it can't access until it loads the USB driver, I'd dump the whole directory to local hard disk and setup from there.

Thanks for the replay.

I have done another install of Windows. like you said, I transferred the Win98 folder to <c:\> along with the 6.3.0.1007.exe (chipset driver) done nothing else apart from give Windows 2 minutes to load, run the installer, exit the installer after it had complete and then restarted the computer from the start menu. still hanging only difference is i have a message "completed updating files, continuing to load Windows...".

i removed all USB devices, i only have a PS/2 keyboard plugged in. I have also removed the sound card too.

Reply 3 of 13, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you install the graphics drivers first? Which is not a good idea. Ideally you want the AGP driver there first. If you did, try going to safe mode, deleting graphics in device manager, then hopefully it will start with default driver and you can reinstall.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 13, by Clickie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-08-20, 22:09:

Did you install the graphics drivers first? Which is not a good idea. Ideally you want the AGP driver there first. If you did, try going to safe mode, deleting graphics in device manager, then hopefully it will start with default driver and you can reinstall.

Sorry, i should of mentioned. on the last install of Windows,
1. run fdisk, and deleted the primary partition.
2. created a new partition (30gb).
3. set it to active (or what ever option 2 is).
4. restart.
5.went win98 DIR on the easy2boot USB. (D:\WIN98)
6. format c:, give the drive a name, etc.
7. copied all the files to <c:\>.
8. run setup .

Then i let Windows load for 2 minutes, run the driver exe and restart from the start menu.

I have just booted into Safe mode and had a look in the device manager, under the "Display adapters" there is "Standard PCI Graphics Adaper (VGA)". i am using the Geforce graphics card because i don't have a VGA cable at hand only a DVI cable, do you think i need to remove the graphics card then delete the standard driver?.

Thanks again.

Reply 5 of 13, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You shouldn't need to if it's using windows standard driver... which leaves us wondering what the hangup is now still.

Reply 6 of 13, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

my bet is isn't doesn't like the ssd. If you have so many builds, than why can't you borrow known good working hardware from your other builds like a hard drive, a gpu any number of other things to try and narrow down the issue.

I would advice you to patch windows ram limitation. see attachment. read the instructions.

Attachments

• Filename
    PATCHMEM.ZIP
    File size
    30.92 KiB
    Downloads
    39 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 7 of 13, by Clickie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2021-08-21, 03:10:

my bet is isn't doesn't like the ssd. If you have so many builds, than why can't you borrow known good working hardware from your other builds like a hard drive, a gpu any number of other things to try and narrow down the issue.

I would advice you to patch windows ram limitation. see attachment. read the instructions.

Thanks for the info.

i don't have any of my old pc's (like an idiot, i thought at the time it was obsolete and i wouldn't use them anymore). Apart from a few old cables, and I only had the ssd spare because i updated my main machine to a m.2 slot.

I have a sneaky feeling it might be the ssd too. i have ordered a 60gb drive and a stick of 512mb Ram, it should be here on monday. hopefully the optical drive will be here too. I will post an update.

Reply 8 of 13, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you can always see what the bootlog shows, if anything.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/get-it-d … -and-utilities/

That link gives you more insight. in short, it's F8 then 1.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 9 of 13, by Clickie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just out of curiosity I give it one last go. i installed the patchmem.exe. Unfortunately its still hanging.

weedeewee wrote on 2021-08-21, 10:50:

you can always see what the bootlog shows, if anything.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/get-it-d … -and-utilities/

That link gives you more insight. in short, it's F8 then 1.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I got the menu up by pressing F8 and selecting "Logged /bootlog.txt" option, its still hanging. i even tried loading windows from the Command prompt and using the switch /b.

i looked under the c:\ Dir. There is no bootlog.txt but there is a Frunlog.txt and a Netlog.txt

- Frunlog.txt -

FirstRunScreens:Start
ProcessInfInstall:File:C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\OEMAUDIT.INF: Section=:OneTime:
ProcessInfInstall:Failed to open:C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\OEMAUDIT.INF: reRet=105
VcpClose:About to close
VcpClose:About to End
VcpClose:About to Terminate
SpezialGeninstalls:Start
SpezialGeninstalls:Looking for :C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\PREDUP.TAG:
Intl:INTL:0:
GetUserInfo:INIT
DoPreInstallWork:Auditmode :0:
PrepareRunonce:Failed to open :C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\OEMAUDIT.INF:
ProcessInfInstall:File:C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\EndUser.INF: Section=:Options:
ProcessInfInstall:Failed to open:C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\EndUser.INF: reRet=105
VcpClose:About to close
VcpClose:About to End
VcpClose:About to Terminate
IsKeyEmpty:Start
Timer:Start OPKRemoveInstalledNetDevice :66212:
Timer:End OPKRemoveInstalledNetDevice :66212:
CheckRunonceSetup:Start
IsKeyEmpty:Start
IsKeyEmpty:1) Have :Time zone: :RUNDLL32.EXE SHELL32.DLL,Control_RunDLL TIMEDATE.CPL,,/f:
CheckRunonceSetup:Check for wrapper =
FirstRunScreens:Exit:0

- Netlog.txt -

NETDI: ClassInstall (0x6 on 0x35a6:0x58) on at Enum\Root\Net\0000
NETDI: SetupFlags=51B(SUF_INSETUP)(SUF_FIRSTTIME) BootCount= NetSetupFlags=0 (RETAIL)
NETDI: Examining class Net
NETDI: dif_FirstTimeSetup
NETDI: Setting FirstBootUpgrade=1
NETDI: ChangeLine: No matches found.
NETDI: File Information for C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\wsock32.dll
NETDI: File not found
NETDI: File Information for C:\WINDOWS\WINSOCK.DLL
NETDI: File Information for C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WINSOCK.DLL
NETDI: Vxd\Winsock\IrSockets=wsirda.vxd
NETDI: File Information for C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\wsirda.vxd
NETDI: BackupWSock: Clean install, exiting
NETDI: DetectWSock=0
NETDI: Installing WS2 in the standard locations
NETDI: QueueNdiFileCopy: C:\WININST0.400\wsock32.dll->(LDID 11)wsock32.dll
NETDI: QueueNdiFileCopy: C:\WININST0.400\winsock.dll->(LDID 25)winsock.dll
NETDI: SelectMyBestCompatDrv: Found a compatible driver: Dial-Up Adapter
NETDI: ClassInstall(0x6) end
NETDI: NETDI: lpRegLogConf = 0x0
NETDI: ClassInstall (0x9 on 0x35a6:0x58) on at Enum\Root\Net\0000
NETDI: SetupFlags=51B(SUF_INSETUP)(SUF_FIRSTTIME) BootCount= NetSetupFlags=7 (RETAIL)
NETDI: ClassInstall(0x9) end
NETDI: ClassInstall (0xa on 0x35a6:0x58) on at Enum\Root\Net\0000
NETDI: SetupFlags=51B(SUF_INSETUP)(SUF_FIRSTTIME) BootCount= NetSetupFlags=7 (RETAIL)
NETDI: ProcessNdiFileQueue: C:\WININST0.400\wsock32.dll -> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\wsock32.dll copied file
NETDI: ProcessNdiFileQueue: C:\WININST0.400\winsock.dll -> C:\WINDOWS\winsock.dll copied file
NETDI: AddRemoveSetVer fAdd=1
NETDI: ChangeLine: Adding line "DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\setver.exe"
NETDI: ClassInstall(0xa) end
NETDI: ClassInstall (0xc on 0x35a6:0x58) on at Enum\Root\Net\0000
NETDI: ClassInstall(0xc) end

****** BEGIN NEW RECORDING *****

NETDI: ClassInstall (0x18 on 0x240e:0x58) on at Enum\ROOT\NET\0000
NETDI: SetupFlags=50B(SUF_FIRSTTIME) BootCount=1 NetSetupFlags=7 (RETAIL)
NETDI: ExecuteQueuedAPIs
NETDI: NdiWSCDeinstallProvider(FF017DE1) Result=-1, Errno=10014
NETDI: NdiWSCInstallProvider(FF017DE1, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mswsosp.dll) Result=0, Errno=0
NETDI: ClassInstall(0x18) end
NETDI: ClassInstall (0x2 on 0x240e:0x58) on at Enum\ROOT\NET\0000
NETDI: SetupFlags=50B(SUF_FIRSTTIME) BootCount=1 NetSetupFlags=7 (RETAIL)
NETDI: Found Enum\Root\Net\0000 in registry
NETDI: GenInstallDriver, C:\WINDOWS\INF\NETPPP.INF,PPPMAC.ndi
NETDI: NdiCreate(Dial-Up Adapter) OK
NETDI: Validating Dial-Up Adapter at Enum\ROOT\NET\0000, rc = 0x0
NETDI: GenInstallDriver, C:\WINDOWS\INF\NETPPP.INF,PPPMAC.Install
NETDI: GenInstallDriver, C:\WINDOWS\INF\NETPPP.INF,PPPMAC.Install.WSock2
NETDI: ConfigureSetVer called
NETDI: AddRemoveSetVer fAdd=0
NETDI: RemLine: Deleting "DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\setver.exe"
NETDI: ClassInstall(0x2) end
NETDI: ClassInstall (0xc on 0x240e:0x58) on Dial-Up Adapter at Enum\ROOT\NET\0000
NETDI: SetupFlags=50B(SUF_FIRSTTIME) BootCount=1 NetSetupFlags=3 (RETAIL)

****** BEGIN NEW RECORDING *****

NETDI: ##################################################
NETDI: EnumComplete Start
NETDI: SetupFlags=50B(SUF_FIRSTTIME) BootCount=1 NetSetupFlags=3 (RETAIL)
NETDI: Found Enum\Root\Net\0000 in registry
NETDI: NdiCreate(Dial-Up Adapter) OK
NETDI: CreateNetwork, Batch=0
NETDI: 1Got default
NETDI: 1Got default MSTCP
NETDI: GenInstallDriver, C:\WINDOWS\INF\NETTRANS.INF,MSTCP.ndi
NETDI: NdiCreate(TCP/IP) OK
NETDI: 1Got default FAMILY
NETDI: GenInstallDriver, C:\WINDOWS\INF\NETFAM.INF,FAMILY.ndi
NETDI: NdiCreate(Microsoft Family Logon) OK
NETDI: 1Got default
NETDI: Validating Microsoft Family Logon at Enum\Network\FAMILY\0000, rc = 0x0
NETDI: Validating TCP/IP at Enum\Network\MSTCP\0000, rc = 0x0
NETDI: Validating Dial-Up Adapter at Enum\Root\Net\0000, rc = 0x0
NETDI: GenInstallDriver, C:\WINDOWS\INF\NETFAM.INF,FAMILY.Install
NETDI: GenInstallDriver, C:\WINDOWS\INF\NETFAM.INF,FAMILY.Install.WSock2
NETDI: GenInstallDriver, C:\WINDOWS\INF\NETTRANS.INF,MSTCP.Install
NETDI: GenInstallDriver, C:\WINDOWS\INF\NETTRANS.INF,MSTCP.Install.WSock2
NETDI: NdiWSCDeinstallProvider(FF017DE0) Result=-1, Errno=10014
NETDI: NdiWSCInstallProvider(FF017DE0, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\msafd.dll) Result=0, Errno=0
NETDI: NdiWSCUnInstallNameSpace(FF017DE2) Result=-1
NETDI: NdiWSCInstallNameSpace(FF017DE2,C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\rnr20.dll) Result=0
NETDI: NdiWSCDeinstallProvider(E70F1AA0) Result=-1, Errno=10014
NETDI: NdiWSCDeinstallProvider(ECBDCBA0) Result=-1, Errno=10014
NETDI: NdiWSCInstallProvider(ECBDCBA0, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\rsvpsp.dll) Result=0, Errno=0
NETDI: ConfigureSetVer called
NETDI: AddRemoveSetVer fAdd=0
NETDI: ====================FirstBootCall==================
NETDI: ClassInstall (0x6 on 0x2d76:0xc48) on at
NETDI: SetupFlags=50B(SUF_FIRSTTIME) BootCount=1 NetSetupFlags=1 (RETAIL)
NETDI: dif_FirstTimeSetup
NETDI: ClassInstall(0x6) end
NETDI: ClassInstall (0xc on 0x2d76:0xc48) on at
NETDI: SetupFlags=50B(SUF_FIRSTTIME) BootCount=1 NetSetupFlags=1 (RETAIL)

Reply 10 of 13, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i had a ton of issues getting windows 98 working on a p3 system with an ssd. what are u using as the sata controller.

when i was working on mine i tired ide to sata devices by startech and i couldn't access the sata drive. then a silcon image 3112 card windows would install perfectly fine but once u would do a a shut down it would corrupt it self. u would see the windows 98 screen come up then just sit there forever at a blinking cursor.

i had to get a promose sata150 card witch had windows 98 drivers then everything works perfect. the one i got was the maxtor rebranded version since it was cheaper then the promise one just make sure u dont get the sataII150 or 300 as those have no 98 driver.

here is a link to one of the maxtor ones https://www.ebay.com/itm/251149387860?hash=it … sYAAOSweVJg9fDE

this is the promise branded one https://www.ebay.ca/itm/192903642893?hash=ite … 4IAAOSwuxFYzv-P but ya price is stupid.

there pretty much the same card and u just grab the driver of the promise website under legacy

not 100% sure this is your issue but from doing a build with an ssd i found windows 98 was super picky about sata controllers. with the driver installed windows 98 don't even really know that its sata it installs it as a scsi controller.

Reply 11 of 13, by Clickie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a quick update, i installed the IDE optical drive i ordered and windows booted up with no problem. no idea why, maybe it was looking for the WIN98 CD?. anyway abit annoying but it seems to be working (for now).

Thanks to every one with the reply's.

Reply 12 of 13, by eltonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had the same problem, with the same hardware.

P4i65G mainboard, Pentium 4 3.0Ghz, 512Mb Ram and Geforece4 TI 4200...
I also didn't have a CD-Rom attached to the IDE, and my HD was a SATA (running in legacy mode on BIOS)
I also tested the INF drivers version 5.02.1003.zip (found them at https://www.philscomputerlab.com/intel-chipset-drivers.html), but the issue persists...

I already bought an IDE CD-R drive, and it should arrive in the next couple of days. I'll post here if your solution works for me as well.

Reply 13 of 13, by eltonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys... I'm back...

I found another "weird" solution that worked for me.

As mentioned before, when I installed a fresh copy of Windows 98 SE on my computer and installed the INF files for the chipset driver, the Windows 98 starts to hang on the next initialization, only working on "Safe Mode".
I tried this n times, with different INF driver versions and Windows 98 images (Retail, OEM...) always with the same output.

Today, I did something different.
Rather than start a fresh Windows install (starting with format /q /s c:) I reinstalled windows overriding the previously installed C:\Windows folder.
To a happy surprise, it's working now! Including the INF driver installed before, it was automatically recognized and installed on the "not so fresh" new installation.

I hope that this can help others in the future 😀

Cheers!