VOGONS

Reply 20 of 39, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is interesting post about 286 and TCP/IP network https://habr.com/en/post/436006/
Unfortunately author also failed with web browser 🙁

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 21 of 39, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zyga64 wrote on 2021-09-07, 18:08:

Here is interesting post about 286 and TCP/IP network https://habr.com/en/post/436006/
Unfortunately author also failed with web browser 🙁

Great article. Thanks. I also use a DE220 nic on my 286 and it works like a dream. In fact it is my preferred 16-bit ISA network for 486s down.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 22 of 39, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It was just occurring to me that the real early versions of mosaic probably expect winsock 1.1 not 2, this is the early version of trumpet winsock I found https://www.uselesssoftware.com/download/winsock-zip

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 23 of 39, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-07, 20:22:

It was just occurring to me that the real early versions of mosaic probably expect winsock 1.1 not 2, this is the early version of trumpet winsock I found https://www.uselesssoftware.com/download/winsock-zip

I'm using Version 1 rev. a on the Zenith.

Attachments

• IMG_20210908_083220.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20210908_083220.jpg
    File size
    121.79 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 24 of 39, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are trumpet utilities like ping FTP telnet etc "getting out into the real world" with it with DNS resolved names or no?

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 25 of 39, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-07, 20:53:

Are trumpet utilities like ping FTP telnet etc "getting out into the real world" with it with DNS resolved names or no?

Win 3.x FTP, TELNET(both pinched from WfW3.11) and the PIRTCH16 irc clients work just fine.

Attachments

• IMG_20210908_094941.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20210908_094941.jpg
    File size
    217.95 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 26 of 39, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So immediately after running one of those to "wake up" the connection does Mosaic work? (Used to find that a lot back in the day that some browsers didn't seem to initialize connection right and something else, like mail, ICQ or IE had to run to kick start it.)

Reply 27 of 39, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-07, 22:03:

So immediately after running one of those to "wake up" the connection does Mosaic work? (Used to find that a lot back in the day that some browsers didn't seem to initialize connection right and something else, like mail, ICQ or IE had to run to kick start it.)

As per my previous Mosaic screenshots. It connects but you basically get garbage on the screen.

Reply 28 of 39, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think that's "working" as far as working with modern html code goes.

Reply 30 of 39, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Guess who finally got this thing working (mainly thanks to you guys. Very much appreciated all 😀)

I downloaded WinSock 1.0 from the link above, cleaned out the newer winsock files and tried the non-tls hackaday site and it worked just fine (well, considering i only get script-data on screen but that was expected after all 😁 ). This is great.

Next i will try to locate any alternative to Mosaic that will also run on 3.1(1). Might not make any visual differences due to old rendering, but its quite interesting still.

Thank you everyone

br.

m.

Attachments

Reply 32 of 39, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
my03 wrote on 2021-09-08, 11:01:
Guess who finally got this thing working (mainly thanks to you guys. Very much appreciated all :)) […]
Show full quote

Guess who finally got this thing working (mainly thanks to you guys. Very much appreciated all 😀)

I downloaded WinSock 1.0 from the link above, cleaned out the newer winsock files and tried the non-tls hackaday site and it worked just fine (well, considering i only get script-data on screen but that was expected after all 😁 ). This is great.

Next i will try to locate any alternative to Mosaic that will also run on 3.1(1). Might not make any visual differences due to old rendering, but its quite interesting still.

Thank you everyone

br.

m.

Good on ya.

Reply 33 of 39, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

retro.hackaday.com looks weird, not sure if you got an error page from hostgator, their host I guess, maybe it was down, or it's a redirect that doesn't work.

Something else to try http://frogfind.com in view source mode that looks really tame, first gen html, but who knows what trips up this early stuff.

Reply 34 of 39, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tried it BitWrangler, and it had a "twist" 😀

I saw that it tried to load the frog-image, then it exploded 😁

I wonder if Opera ever launched a browser for the pre-386 era? I tried version 2.x versions but they all wanted 386.

Attachments

• Frog2.jpg
    Filename
    Frog2.jpg
    File size
    344.06 KiB
    Views
    File license
    GPL-2.0-or-later
  • Frog1.jpg
    Filename
    Frog1.jpg
    File size
    375.18 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 35 of 39, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There should be an option somewhere to turn images off if they are going to be a problem. Probably wants straight gif87 format or something.

hmmm there's the old classic http://info.cern.ch/ but not sure if those modern compatibility <li> tags are just getting ignored like they should be, or whether it's snagging on them.

Then there's a mid 90s search/directory still up at http://www.aliweb.com/ but gut feels is that that wants Netscape 2 or better.

Reply 36 of 39, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heh ignore my diversion about <li> tags for some reason I thought they were later html

Reply 37 of 39, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another possible page to try http://oldhomepage.cf/ Some of those old browsers seemed to have "acceptable" TLDs hardcoded though, hope it likes .cf

Reply 38 of 39, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ringding wrote on 2021-09-08, 13:51:

Cool, congratulations! I could have only dreamed of that much memory on my 286 back then… (I would have been more than happy with 2MB)

In all honesty, i think 2MB would be the "sweet spot" on this thing as the memory count takes forever to finish 😁

I only did get the ISA memory expansion because i wanted to check out if this 286 could go beyond 16MB (i got 4 sticks quite cheap that was supposed to be 4MB ones, turned out they were 1MB and so i haven't yet seen it through properly...).

Maybe one day....

Reply 39 of 39, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just an idea, but couldn't you set up your own proxy server that already does some of the more difficult tasks such as filtering out images? I can't imagine even simple sites* with huge (for the time) images will ever load properly in 16MB... A proxy might also be able to get around requirements such as HTTPS.

* if you look around there still are a lot of simpler sites with very basic HTML.