VOGONS

First post, by Martijn1974

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I'm playing around with an old P2 - 266Mhz system.
The idea is to have a few swappable HDD's, each with a different OS on it, like this;
HDD-1 WD Caviar 40GB : MS-DOS 6.22 and WIN 3.11
HDD-2 WD Protege 40GB: WIN95
HDD-3 (yet to be bought) : Win98

Well at the moment HDD-1 is installed and operating fine.
Now I want to get HDD-2 working...and that's not going at all.
Because I can't get any boot-disk to work I've installed DOS 6.22 on HDD-2 without a problem. But after power up and initialising the BIOS the system stops. Only to have a blinking _ in the bottom left corner (no drive letter). It doesn't continu to load DOS, no matter what I type or do.
When I swap HDD-2 for HDD-1 it loads fine, so I dont think its the Mainboard/IDE/cable.
Both HDD's are jumper "Master", and IDE detection is auto.

I find this very strange because The mainboard (ASUS P2B) finds and identifies the HDD-2.
I can install MS-DOS on it without a glitch.
I can even work on that HDD-2 via a dockingstation on my i7 ASUS ROG Strix running WIN10.

Both HDD-1 and HDD-2 are partitioned and formatted by the MS-DOS installation so they should be the same and the DOS version works on HDD-1.

If I place HDD-2 in the PC as a "Slave" to HDD-1 I can use the Win 3.11 FileManager to read and write to the HDD-2 no problem. So the disk does work in the P2B system (basically everywhere)...it just refuses to boot.
This is driving me nuts... who could help me with some advice or tips??? please!!

regards,
Martijn.

Main PC : ASUS ROG Strix G15CK.
Rebuild : P2-266Mhz 1998.
(Sorry for the typo's and grammar, English is not my first language)

Reply 1 of 10, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Master boot record could be corrupt. Have you tried fdisk/mbr on drive 2 from bootable Dos floppy disk then rebooted to the hdd?

I had a hdd with a similar problem, no OS would not boot from it but for some reason OS/2 v3 installed and booted up fine. I left that on it.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 10, by Martijn1974

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I followed your tip to try fdsik/mbr.

You say to use a bootable DOS floppy, but I cant't get one to work. I've tried about all of different bootdisks from allbootdisks.com, but it just won't boot from them.
The only floppy I can boot from is the DOS install, but there I have no other choice then to install.

So I booted up my system to DOS with HDD-1 and HDD-2 as slave.
Then according to this info I could still execute fdisk/mbr, though here it is called cmbr (?)
mbr.jpg

So I tried that.
FDISK/STATUS says that I have devices number 1 and 2. nr.2 is the one with the problem.
The "FDISK/CMBR 2" command fails. It says -/CMBR invalid.
Then I tried "FDISK/MBR 2". When I run that command the IDE Led lights up for a split second, but nothing happens further, just goes back to C: prompt. Also no error.
After removing HDD-1 and reboot it still won't boot up HDD-2. i.o.w. Nothing has changed.

Should I get some sort of confirmation after executing FDISK/MBR ?

Reply 4 of 10, by Martijn1974

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I swap HDD's, so there is usualy only one at a time present.
One time only I put them both in so I could boot from HDD-1 to see if HDD-2 acctually worked in the PC, and it did.

In the meantime I'm going another route with this problem.
The reluctant 40GB is going to become a vintage paperweight.
Instead I'm now configuring a 80GB WD HDD. Therefor I had to update my P2b BIOS from version 1012 to 1014, for 60GB> support.
The BIOS flash process has just finished nad has gone well.
I've Fdisked and formatted the 80GB for DOS. As we speak it's hooked up to my i7/win 10 PC as I'm going to copy the WIN95 CD contents to it. The system refuses to find my cd-drive, as all the bootdisks fail.

Reply 5 of 10, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Martijn1974 wrote on 2021-09-05, 11:29:
I swap HDD's, so there is usualy only one at a time present. One time only I put them both in so I could boot from HDD-1 to see […]
Show full quote

I swap HDD's, so there is usualy only one at a time present.
One time only I put them both in so I could boot from HDD-1 to see if HDD-2 acctually worked in the PC, and it did.

In the meantime I'm going another route with this problem.
The reluctant 40GB is going to become a vintage paperweight.
Instead I'm now configuring a 80GB WD HDD. Therefor I had to update my P2b BIOS from version 1012 to 1014, for 60GB> support.
The BIOS flash process has just finished nad has gone well.
I've Fdisked and formatted the 80GB for DOS. As we speak it's hooked up to my i7/win 10 PC as I'm going to copy the WIN95 CD contents to it. The system refuses to find my cd-drive, as all the bootdisks fail.

DOS and older versions of Windows will likely refuse to boot, if the partition on the hard disk is not a primary type partition. Had you used another computer with a newer OS to partition and format the hard disk, you could have ended up with an extended partition which DOS/Windows 9x might see, but perhaps will not boot from. Doesn't seem likely since you said you used fdisk/format from the original DOS boot disk.

Also, operating systems like Windows 95 OSR2 (and included version of DOS) can deal with file systems in size up to 32 GB. Older versions of Windows 95 and DOS only support FAT16 and thus disks or volumes up to 2GB. I don't understand how you managed to get DOS/Win 3.11 to operate on HDD1.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 6 of 10, by Martijn1974

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have made a primary partition on HDD-1 using The partition tool on the DOS setup.
When I use the biggest DOS partition option it sets the drive to 2048MB usable space, I believe that's how to get a bigger disk to work.
That same method has been used on HDD-2 but that one refuses to boot, although the DOS installation went fine.

The HDD-1 drive with DOS 6.22 and WIN3.11 runs flawlessly.

Reply 7 of 10, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Martijn1974 wrote on 2021-09-05, 17:49:
I have made a primary partition on HDD-1 using The partition tool on the DOS setup. When I use the biggest DOS partition option […]
Show full quote

I have made a primary partition on HDD-1 using The partition tool on the DOS setup.
When I use the biggest DOS partition option it sets the drive to 2048MB usable space, I believe that's how to get a bigger disk to work.
That same method has been used on HDD-2 but that one refuses to boot, although the DOS installation went fine.

The HDD-1 drive with DOS 6.22 and WIN3.11 runs flawlessly.

Right, right - so you're only utilizing 2GB. That makes sense. Is the primary partition on HDD-2 also marked bootable in FDISK?

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 8 of 10, by Martijn1974

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leonardo wrote on 2021-09-06, 06:22:

...Is the primary partition on HDD-2 also marked bootable in FDISK?

I have looked in FDISK but I can't find any info regarding "Bootable".
I have 1 primary DOS partition of 2048MB.

But... the problem has disapeard.
What have I done? With the help of my Win10 PC I copied the contents of the Win95 CD onto the HDD-2.
Booted with a selfmade bootdisk (Wow, that worked) and started the WIN 95 installation.
That went without any problems and when it was time to reboot the system it powered up and booted right into WIN95.
So now it DOES boot!!
Still don't know what caused the problem, nore what solved it... but it works now.

regards,
Martijn.

Reply 9 of 10, by Ringding

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Martijn1974 wrote on 2021-09-06, 15:38:

I have looked in FDISK but I can't find any info regarding "Bootable".

It’s called "Active". It shows an "A" in the Status column when the bootable flag is set.

Reply 10 of 10, by Martijn1974

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In that case, yes it is active.