VOGONS

First post, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Should it look like this 🤣? The aspect ratio seems right but it doesn’t fill the screen. I know I can adjust my CRT monitor settings but wasn’t sure. Nothing else I’m playing is this far off.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 2, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, that happens to me too.
There´s a "RA setup.exe" or something like that (inside the game installation directory), that lets you choose between 640x400 (it starts like this when you first run it) and 640x480. The latter makes it look a little more accurate (but still it doesn´t fill the whole screen). I guess it has to do with our monitors (5:4 1280x1024 in my case).
Although now that I see your pictures better, it´s a proper 4:3 CRT in your case, right? Try the above If you haven´t yet.

Reply 2 of 2, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

By default it's 640x400x256@70hz, but has a 640x480x256@60hz fallback for certain Windows display drivers (laptops usually) that don't react well to a less than usual SVGA mode (despite well, technically being the same as the 320x200 double-scanned VGA mode)

My OG Red Alert CRT experience from the day looked somewhat like this simulated shader picture and i'm certain Westwood rolled with the off-squares in the UI. Pixel aspect ratio ignorance from the developer side was a very real thing.

Attachments

• ra95etc.jpg
    Filename
    ra95etc.jpg
    File size
    389.86 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

apsosig.png
long live PCem