VOGONS

Windows 98 veeeeeeery slow!

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 28, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For future installs, boot off a boot disk and then set up the HDD, and copy the files from the Win98 CDROM into a directory on the HDD and install from the HDD.

I went through a cycle of multiple installations trying to get a combination of multi soundcards working correctly. I used an SD to IDE adapter and performed the installs this way and it was 10-15 minutes from kicking off the install to being booted into Win98. For reinstalls, I just ejected the SD card and brought it up on my main PC. I deleted everything but the W98Inst directory I made and reinstalled it.

I did a limited installation of the Unofficial SP3 and it's been rock solid. The only options I picked are the required official MS updates, and then the large memory patch as I have 1GB of RAM in that computer.

Reply 21 of 28, by ldeveraux

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SScorpio wrote on 2021-11-28, 16:27:

For future installs, boot off a boot disk and then set up the HDD, and copy the files from the Win98 CDROM into a directory on the HDD and install from the HDD.

I went through a cycle of multiple installations trying to get a combination of multi soundcards working correctly. I used an SD to IDE adapter and performed the installs this way and it was 10-15 minutes from kicking off the install to being booted into Win98. For reinstalls, I just ejected the SD card and brought it up on my main PC. I deleted everything but the W98Inst directory I made and reinstalled it.

I did a limited installation of the Unofficial SP3 and it's been rock solid. The only options I picked are the required official MS updates, and then the large memory patch as I have 1GB of RAM in that computer.

I tried many times to install from HDD, install would freeze at "copying files needed for windows setup". I don't know if it was the disc I copied them from, but not even a burned CD install would work with that image. The image was from REMOVED so I assumed it would be good! Literally the only way I was able to install was from the 98SE Update disc, with proof of owning the 95 main disc.

Strange too that I tried booting to an Ubuntu 6 live CD (so I could dd my tape drive instead of using Windows software) and that froze at a certain point too. I don't remember where, it was a week ago, but maybe my cd drive is bad?

Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-12-07, 02:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 22 of 28, by VDNKh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ldeveraux wrote on 2021-11-28, 16:23:
VDNKh wrote on 2021-11-28, 15:15:

Shouldn't take that long. Just look for something like "1 pass complete with no errors" or something like that.

Are you using an 80 wire IDE cable? Have you tried swapping IDE cables to see if one is bad? Do you know the CD drive is good?

I ran a pass and it said it passed, no errors. Also my IDE cable is 80 wire I think. I didn't count them, but it's yellow and relatively flat, I'll assume it's 80. Apart from those 2 things, I'm just going to reset my BIOS to default and move forward. I don't know why it's laggy, everyone agrees it's not right, but nothing seems to fix it.

I'm leaning toward the 1GB stick was causing issues or there's a bad IDE cable or bad CD drive or worst of all a leaky capacitor somewhere.

Difference between 40 wire and 80 wire. You need the 80 wire to use the full bandwidth your IDE controller has, otherwise you will get random hard drive corruptions and errors.
ide8040pin.jpg
Filename
ide8040pin.jpg
File size
15.75 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 23 of 28, by ldeveraux

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Turns out that CD drive was on its way out. I was unable to boot a Ubuntu Live CD from the drive in any way. I replaced the CD drive with a Sony DVD drive and everything booted up properly. I'm going to leave this drive installed and see if it's any more robust with transfers. Considering I'm certain I have a good HDD and 80 wire cable, that's not concerning.

Reply 24 of 28, by ldeveraux

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VDNKh wrote on 2021-11-26, 00:09:

Turning off PnP is what caused it to refind all the drivers. I would leave it on, letting the BIOS handle IRQ steering unless it creates conflicts. You should reinstall the chipset driver after you turn it off (or better yet, reinstall Windows, as it hates hardware changes). Also get yourself some newer VIA chipset drivers: http://download.viatech.com/en/support/driversSelect.jsp

Which chipset drivers should I get? I got the first one on the list (VIA Hyperion Pro Driver Package ) but setup was interrupted before setup completed.

Reply 25 of 28, by ldeveraux

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well friends, I don't know if it was enabling the L1 and L2 cache or what, but even after installing most of the SP3, it's lightning fast. And I have LAN, Tape Drive, and USB all working. IDK, but it works! Only thing is now with those BIOS changes I can't seem to boot a cd/dvd anymore. Is that something to do with the L1 or L2 cache?

Reply 26 of 28, by VDNKh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ldeveraux wrote on 2021-11-28, 18:39:
VDNKh wrote on 2021-11-26, 00:09:

Turning off PnP is what caused it to refind all the drivers. I would leave it on, letting the BIOS handle IRQ steering unless it creates conflicts. You should reinstall the chipset driver after you turn it off (or better yet, reinstall Windows, as it hates hardware changes). Also get yourself some newer VIA chipset drivers: http://download.viatech.com/en/support/driversSelect.jsp

Which chipset drivers should I get? I got the first one on the list (VIA Hyperion Pro Driver Package ) but setup was interrupted before setup completed.

I think you figured it out but like I said in my other post, that driver will say it failed but after a reboot all the drivers will install. Make sure you install the AGP driver, just uncheck the chipset driver in the installer and it'll work.

And it sounds like the failing CD drive was causing the slowdown. Probably sending erroneous signals and hammering the CPU with garbage interrupts. Glad you fixed it.

Change the boot order in the BIOS so it looks at the CD drive first instead of the hard drive.

Reply 27 of 28, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It was suggested somewhere that setting the time wrong in bios can cause windows 9x/me to be really slow.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 28 of 28, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-03-28, 07:39:

It was suggested somewhere that setting the time wrong in bios can cause windows 9x/me to be really slow.

It was already found out to be the CPU caches