VOGONS

First post, by Paul_V

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, everyone.
I have troubles making Nascar 2 run on a system with LynxEM+ (SM712) videochip under DOS 6.22
I cannot run setup.exe, nor the game itself.

Things i've tried so far:
1) UNIVBE does not support this chip, tried to use a modified driver, which uses card BIOS VESA 2.0 support. Driver is detected, error remains the same
2) Disabling all non-essential peripherial device (serial,usb etc)
3) Replacing DOS/4GW with different versions incl DOS32a
4) Patching to v1.03

I'm testing this chip compatibility for a project and this is the first i'm unable to solve.
As far as I know, 3D acceleration support is not mandatory to run this game (please correct me, if i'm wrong)
I'm mostly blind guuessing, because the error doens't ring any bells for me, I would greatly aprecciate any help.

Attachments

• nascar2-1.jpg
    Filename
    nascar2-1.jpg
    File size
    95.74 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • nascar2.jpg
    Filename
    nascar2.jpg
    File size
    105.09 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by Paul_V on 2022-03-24, 19:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 2, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

3D acceleration is definitely not required, assuming this is the normal retail version of the game anyway. I think I first played it on a Cirrus chip.
Beyond that I don't have anything to contribute to what the issue is, sorry.

Reply 2 of 2, by Paul_V

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've successfully launched it on a different system with C&T65550 chip, which is supported by UNIVBE. So no 3D accel required. But I had to load TSR manually.

UPD: After using vesafix utility, the game is loading. But is image is flickery and the game itself runs too slow (C&T65550 did way better on a much slower system)

UPD2: Forcing VESA 1.2 solved the problem, but performance is somehow on par with C&T65550. Not ideal, but somehow playable.
My guess is that the first Nascar installment used software svga rendering that relied heavily on CPU power, which can explain the drastic difference in performance I got.
The second installment seems to rely more on gpu.