VOGONS

First post, by pinesal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I just got a Windows 98 PC and I am trying a demo version of Quake 2 to see how well I can get 3D accelerated games going and I am shocked at the poor performance considering the specs.

I haven't used a PC from this era since the 90s so my memory is rusty about how to solve this. In software mode Quake 2 runs well but when I switch it to OpenGL, the framerate tanks to less thank 1 frame per second.

Spec:
FIC VA-503+ Motherboard (latest bios 4333)
AMD k6-2 @ 525Mhz
196MB PC100 RAM
ATI All-in-Wonder 9800 (Catalyst 3.4)

Seems like I exceed the recommended specs. I am not sure what the problem is.

How can I troubleshoot this?

Last edited by pinesal on 2022-01-30, 20:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Hang out in the 90s with me on Twitch: The 90s Retro Gaming https://twitch.tv/90snick_pinesal
Retro Battlestation:
FIC VA-503+
AMD K6-2+ @ 600mhz
ATI Rage Fury 16MB
128mb PC100 RAM
137GB SSD
Windows 98

Reply 1 of 13, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Check your OpenGl library make sure you have the one for your GPU in the Quake2 directory and that its not using the basic windows one.

Last edited by TrashPanda on 2022-01-30, 20:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 13, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Welcome to the forum!😃
First thing that comes to mind is the graphics card. All avaliable drivers will run suboptimal on your CPU. I don't know wether frames should drop to ~1fps but slowdowns are to be expected. Do you have a different 3D card (up to ca. 2001-2002) to try this with?

Also I asked the mods to move this thread to the Marvin section of the forum which is for running old games on old hardware/OS. You'll usually get better answers there.👍

Reply 4 of 13, by pinesal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-01-30, 19:56:

Welcome to the forum!😃
First thing that comes to mind is the graphics card. All avaliable drivers will run suboptimal on your CPU. I don't know wether frames should drop to ~1fps but slowdowns are to be expected. Do you have a different 3D card (up to ca. 2001-2002) to try this with?

Also I asked the mods to move this thread to the Marvin section of the forum which is for running old games on old hardware/OS. You'll usually get better answers there.👍

Thanks, are you suggesting that the AIW 9800 is too new? I have an ATI Rage Fury on the way. Do you think that might work better?

Hang out in the 90s with me on Twitch: The 90s Retro Gaming https://twitch.tv/90snick_pinesal
Retro Battlestation:
FIC VA-503+
AMD K6-2+ @ 600mhz
ATI Rage Fury 16MB
128mb PC100 RAM
137GB SSD
Windows 98

Reply 5 of 13, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pinesal wrote on 2022-01-30, 20:20:

Welcome to the forum!😃

Thanks, are you suggesting that the AIW 9800 is too new? I have an ATI Rage Fury on the way. Do you think that might work better?

Super 7 has issues with AGP cards in general mostly due to being the first to use the AGP bus and really doesnt like AGP cards designed to run on a 4x/8x bus, the drivers for such cards are also not optimised for SS7 either, it might be best to source a GF2 era GPU for this build a AGP 1x or 2x card would be better suited.

A TnT2 M64/Ultra/Pro would work fine, same for a GeForce DDR or MX 200 series GPU, even a MX400 series should work any of the Radeons from the 2x AGP cards would work too.

Dont know if you have a Voodoo2/3 card but that would work as well.

Reply 6 of 13, by pinesal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-01-30, 20:23:

Welcome to the forum!😃

Super 7 has issues AGP cards in general mostly due to being the first to use the AGP bus and really doesnt like AGP cards designed to run on a 4x/8x bus, the drivers for such cards are also not optimised for SS7 either, it might be best to source a GF2 era GPU for this build a 1x or 2x card would be better.

Yes indeed. I believe the Rage Fury (ATI AGP RAGE 128PRO 16MB SVGA MODEL 109-63100-10) is in the right timeframe to match up with the rest of the hardware. I should have it on Tuesday. I'll update this thread with my findings.

Retro Battlestation:
FIC VA-503+
AMD K6-2+ @ 600mhz
ATI Rage Fury 16MB
128mb PC100 RAM
137GB SSD
Windows 98

Reply 7 of 13, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pinesal wrote on 2022-01-30, 20:28:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-01-30, 20:23:

Super 7 has issues AGP cards in general mostly due to being the first to use the AGP bus and really doesnt like AGP cards designed to run on a 4x/8x bus, the drivers for such cards are also not optimised for SS7 either, it might be best to source a GF2 era GPU for this build a 1x or 2x card would be better.

Yes indeed. I believe the Rage Fury (ATI AGP RAGE 128PRO 16MB SVGA MODEL 109-63100-10) is in the right timeframe to match up with the rest of the hardware. I should have it on Tuesday. I'll update this thread with my findings.

Thats a nice little card, would be fun to see it running quake 2 😁

Reply 8 of 13, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

TrashPanda's answer is better than mine would be.😅 My experience is that Super7 often needs some amount of tweaking/experimenting (BIOS settings and driver combinations) to run well.
ATI Rage cards are probably a good match for Super7.👌 See if that runs better once you get it.

Reply 9 of 13, by pinesal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just want to say that I am so happy and excited to have a retro PC. I am so lucky to, after years of searching for a decent priced machine, have managed to get one from the exact era I wanted (late 90s) and for FREE actually. I am new to this site. Can some one point me to the correct forum for general reminiscing, telling my story and geeking out over old computers?

Retro Battlestation:
FIC VA-503+
AMD K6-2+ @ 600mhz
ATI Rage Fury 16MB
128mb PC100 RAM
137GB SSD
Windows 98

Reply 11 of 13, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A few things to note:

- The issue with Quake 2 is definitely the Microsoft OpenGL Software ICD, which means that it tries to accelerate in software. You obviously don't want that. Either the drivers did not install properly or there's some other shenanigans going on. An easy way to find out is to try out another OpenGL game. I'd download the MDK2 Demo, the launcher for that has an info button that lets you know which OpenGL driver the game will attempt to use. Give it a go.

- What CPU do you own? There is no K6-2 525, there was K6-2 500 and K6-2 533. You either made a mistake on this thread or something isn't set up properly on your system.

- Your video card is indeed a mismatch in a sense. Intel introduced AGP in 1997 with the 440LX for Pentium II systems and the rest of the chipset manufacturers struggled for a few years to get it right. 1998 and 1999 are very rough, by 2000 and late socket 370 and socket A boards, things began to get a lot more stable. As such, for those earlier systems and chipsets, it is generally recommended that you use a PCI videocard or a 3Dfx card (because these did not use any AGP features, they only used the faster bus) if you wish a headache-free experience. If you go with other AGP cards you'll have to do some reading and testing to see what's stable, thankfully your FIC board was a popular choice so you can find threads here with various people figuring out what worked best. I like GeForce2 MX cards, I've had good experiences with them after setting up as many compatibility options as possible, since they also don't draw too much power.

- However, even if you get a more powerful card, it might not be beneficial. I assume you have a K6-2 500, that CPU is roughly on par with a Pentium II 266 or 300. Unless you want higher resolutions, anything faster than a Voodoo2 is going to waste here. This would not be an issue in and of itself, however newer cards came with later, more complex drivers that were designed for newer systems, so they actually end up performing worse than older hardware! Besides performance tweaks for older CPUs and systems, later drivers also tend to break compatibility with older features and games. Your mileage may vary.
I'm not sure if the Rage Fury you ordered is a full Rage 128 Pro (the 16MB VRAM has me thinking it's on a 64bit bus as opposed to 128bit), but either way it should be a better match for your system. Be sure to ask or find out which drivers seem to work the best for the era and also your MVP3 chipset!

Reply 12 of 13, by yochenhsieh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In my memory I was using these spec in year 2000:
AMD K6-2 400mhz
128MB RAM
nVidia TNT2 M64
10GB HDD
...to run Star Trek Voyager Elite Force, which is Quake3 -based.
I think it performed well because I beat the game.

Reply 13 of 13, by pinesal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Garrett W wrote on 2022-01-31, 11:44:
A few things to note: […]
Show full quote

A few things to note:

- The issue with Quake 2 is definitely the Microsoft OpenGL Software ICD, which means that it tries to accelerate in software. You obviously don't want that. Either the drivers did not install properly or there's some other shenanigans going on. An easy way to find out is to try out another OpenGL game. I'd download the MDK2 Demo, the launcher for that has an info button that lets you know which OpenGL driver the game will attempt to use. Give it a go.

- What CPU do you own? There is no K6-2 525, there was K6-2 500 and K6-2 533. You either made a mistake on this thread or something isn't set up properly on your system.

- Your video card is indeed a mismatch in a sense. Intel introduced AGP in 1997 with the 440LX for Pentium II systems and the rest of the chipset manufacturers struggled for a few years to get it right. 1998 and 1999 are very rough, by 2000 and late socket 370 and socket A boards, things began to get a lot more stable. As such, for those earlier systems and chipsets, it is generally recommended that you use a PCI videocard or a 3Dfx card (because these did not use any AGP features, they only used the faster bus) if you wish a headache-free experience. If you go with other AGP cards you'll have to do some reading and testing to see what's stable, thankfully your FIC board was a popular choice so you can find threads here with various people figuring out what worked best. I like GeForce2 MX cards, I've had good experiences with them after setting up as many compatibility options as possible, since they also don't draw too much power.

- However, even if you get a more powerful card, it might not be beneficial. I assume you have a K6-2 500, that CPU is roughly on par with a Pentium II 266 or 300. Unless you want higher resolutions, anything faster than a Voodoo2 is going to waste here. This would not be an issue in and of itself, however newer cards came with later, more complex drivers that were designed for newer systems, so they actually end up performing worse than older hardware! Besides performance tweaks for older CPUs and systems, later drivers also tend to break compatibility with older features and games. Your mileage may vary.
I'm not sure if the Rage Fury you ordered is a full Rage 128 Pro (the 16MB VRAM has me thinking it's on a 64bit bus as opposed to 128bit), but either way it should be a better match for your system. Be sure to ask or find out which drivers seem to work the best for the era and also your MVP3 chipset!

I'll come back with pictures from the POST screen and CPUZ next time I am at the computer. I do remember the CPU was set with a 5.5 multiplier. So maybe it's being overclocked.
I'll do as you suggest and get the MDK2 demo and see what I can learn.

Retro Battlestation:
FIC VA-503+
AMD K6-2+ @ 600mhz
ATI Rage Fury 16MB
128mb PC100 RAM
137GB SSD
Windows 98