VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey Guys, I just finished building my AMD K6-III+ With Voodoo-3-3000 computer. Now I want to test it out.
I want to test AMD 3D NOW, MMX , Glide, and everything else in game play this computer is capable of.
I also have a Sound Blaster Live 5.1 sound card.

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2022-02-11, 05:54. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 3 of 37, by Aebtdom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Deus Ex,
Quake 2, 3
Unreal
Half Life
Need For Speed 3
Nfs porsche
Battlezone

Builds:

Xp3000+ gf3 ti200 + vd2 SLI 12MB + 768MB + SB live @ WinXP & 98 Dualboot.

P2 350mhz + Diamond Viper V550 + 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12MB + AWE64 + 128MB SDR @ msdos / win98.

Reply 4 of 37, by maestro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Welcome to the K6-III+ Voodoo3 Club! An exclusive club of particular losers content with inferiority and seemingly bulletproof towards criticism. Generally stupefied, our ranks harbour some the best of the worst and proudly we segregate our shameful existence from those whom are better than us, whom don't fall victim to the same bad purchasing decisions that characterizes our identity to those whom are better than us, and to whom it goes without saying know more about computers than any of us. Welcome!

Below are some of the games on my K6-III+ Voodoo3 (Club) but first I want to particularly mention Ultima 9 Ascension. It is a highly demanding Glide API game that I have been using to test overclock stability and benefit yield using the FPS counter that can be enabled via a config file. If you don't know the history, U9 is a terrible game and an utter failure that killed off the franchise but all of the previous Ultima games before it, except in the eyes of those retched bastards whom hate U8, all of the previous games were considered legendary among gamers. It is a series and history of computer gaming worth looking into.

Age of Wonders Shadow Magic
Anachronox
Diablo II + Expansion
Dungeon Siege + Expansion
Freelancer
Freespace 2
Fool Forasking
Heavy Gear 2
Independence War 2
Master of Orion 3
Mechwarrior 3 Pirate's Moon
Starlancer
Starsiege
Thief 2
Tie Fighter
Warcraft 3 + Expansion
Wizardry 8
Wizards and Warriors
X-Wing

Can you tell I was fed a lot of Wing Commander?

Here's another thing you need to know, an exclusive piece of K6-III+ club information for your unique palate, a platform specific tweak impressive enough to make itself a staple of my boot cycle.
https://www.wtrjones.co.uk/central-tweaking-u … -3-3000-part-2/

Let me know if you have any questions about anything. I'm so excited! Welcome!

Reply 6 of 37, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-02-11, 06:32:

Can I join if I dont use a Voodoo3 but a Banshee instead ?>

How about a Voodoo4 4500 ?

Or is it exclusive to owners of a Voodoo3 3000 ?

I don’t know ? From all the reviews I have seen they say the Banshee is half the speed of the Voodoo-3 and lacks texture ?
Its graphics are not as good as the Voodoo-3 . But I would like to read your comments and options anyways.

Attachments

Reply 7 of 37, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Whoohoo !……Let’s Go…..

Attachments

Reply 8 of 37, by NostalgicAslinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

NFS Porsche is a later Glide game from 2000 which looks better on a Voodoo 4/5, because the VSA-100 now had support for better texture resolutions until 2048x2048 pixels (I think the game uses 512x512 resolution for the textures), and a Voodoo 3 is still limited to 256x256 pixels. That's why the game looks a bit more washed out on a Voodoo 2/3, also with the highest texture settings.

Reply 9 of 37, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I need a better display. The one I am using is an old Dell LCD from 1990’s.
What is a Good Display to use that is compatible with old VGA and SVGA video cards ?

Reply 10 of 37, by abasak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Aebtdom wrote on 2022-02-10, 22:58:
Deus Ex, Quake 2, 3 Unreal Half Life Need For Speed 3 Nfs porsche Battlezone […]
Show full quote

Deus Ex,
Quake 2, 3
Unreal
Half Life
Need For Speed 3
Nfs porsche
Battlezone

I can’t get Deus Ex playable with a steady 30fps on my K6-2+ 570Mhz with a Voodoo3. Are any of you able to?

Reply 11 of 37, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
abasak wrote on 2022-02-15, 22:22:

I can’t get Deus Ex playable with a steady 30fps on my K6-2+ 570Mhz with a Voodoo3. Are any of you able to?

Deus Ex was the Crysis of its day. You'd be hard pressed to get solid performance on a 1 GHz system, much less anything in the officially required/recommended range.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 12 of 37, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's not going to run anything Unreal-based all that well. Or Quake 3-based games. Diablo 2 will run quite poorly too. I am not sure about anything after 1998 really.

Quake 2 has a solid 3Dnow patch that was funded / written by AMD and 3Dfx. That's about the best example of 3DNow in a game I think.

Voodoo3 will get you the best it can be because Glide has such lower CPU overhead than D3D and the games you will play on it will be of the Glide heyday.

I think it is a great DOS game CPU. Flexible CPU speed options.

Reply 13 of 37, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is what it isn't. 500mhz K6III + doesn't perform at all anything like a a Pentium II or III at 500MHZ even with thier half speed L2. It's more like its a 300-350 mhz P2 with a slower FPU.

Voodoo 3s just happen to be best in slot on VIA SS7 chipset but the CPU is still the bottleneck in this system.

Reply 15 of 37, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Warlord wrote on 2022-02-16, 05:43:

It is what it isn't. 500mhz K6III + doesn't perform at all anything like a a Pentium II or III at 500MHZ even with thier half speed L2. It's more like its a 300-350 mhz P2 with a slower FPU.

Voodoo 3s just happen to be best in slot on VIA SS7 chipset but the CPU is still the bottleneck in this system.

Yes, I am going to build an Intel 370 1ghz Voodoo-3 computer but I just like the allure of the AMD K6-III+
And currently it is running fine. Performance appears to be acceptable.
I don’t know how many FPS I am getting but I don’t see any lag in performance.

Attachments

Reply 16 of 37, by maestro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't want to steal your thread but I see some club members are posting.

Intel486dx33, your choice of Lian Li identifies you as an enlightened individual, your sticker is pretty rad too and so is your BIOS screenshot. Monitors are hard to recommend, there's nothing being made today so look at the second hand market and it really comes down to comparing stats and manufacturers. Although personally I think you should leave it to chance and check out thrift stores, they're packed with LCDs and they've been my best resource to date. Honourable mentions from my adventures include two Dell 2001FPs, a Samsung SyncMaster 173T and a Sharp LL-172C-B.

TrashPanda, 🤣. We'll take any 3DFX card on K6 but we prefer AGP and truthfully we're Avenger affictionatos but who isn't on some level. The exception is Voodoo Rush users who require extra vetting before being admitted into the club.

There's already some good information brewing in this thread and I hope it continues as it serves to strenthen our base by spreading useful information into the universe which should help us attract new members. Together we'll find a way to one day resurrect 3DFX so that we can fight the evil GeForce once again and find attonement for the humiliating defeat that we have suffered. Until that day we should remain courteous to the 'Acolytes of Darkness' and disguise our true intent from them. Until that day, brothers.

Reply 18 of 37, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2022-02-11, 15:38:

I don’t know ? From all the reviews I have seen they say the Banshee is half the speed of the Voodoo-3 and lacks texture ?
Its graphics are not as good as the Voodoo-3 . But I would like to read your comments and options anyways.

looking at that pic,

was there ever a dual agp mobo?

you could sli a pci and agp voodoo right?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)