VOGONS

First post, by RobDos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Big Box - To keep or not to keep? That is the question.

Whether it is nobler to fight with my spouse over the large amount of space it will take up or just shrink down the disks in to slim CD cases that is the question. Also, some games come in odd cases.

For instance, I have Command and Conquer box Set, well that's an annoying sized box.

I have 7th guest in a nice CD case, but 11th Hour comes in a deeper specialized velvet case...

I'm torn, I mean for me the boxes and manuals etc.. don't really hold much value beyond the game inside but at the same time, if I destroy these then it's one less for future people, but would anyone even care?

Of course then there is a mix of DVD style case and all sorts of odd sized stuff.

P3 Slot 1 - 512MB PC100 - 128GB SSD - RADEON 9200 SE , SB Awe64 ISA - GOTEK MOD

Reply 1 of 8, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Stealth tactics, buy several storage ottomans, don't say they're storage ottomans, equip with secret magnetic catch if possible... put one by front door "for putting your shoes on" one for waiting for the bathroom to be free, one so you can sit and look out the window....

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 8, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You know, if it's really just about the software content and the WAF on the other hand, no sentimental attachment:
Not actual legal advice, but copyright issues don't really apply to games from the stone age in a private setting. So, if not keeping them, copy all the disk to a flash drive, put that flash drive in a jewel case, put that in a very large and rusty safe, sell the boxes.

(Maybe store the CDs as disk images so you'd be able to reapply them on CD-Rs if that's the only way to install them on old systems. You'd need backup anyway, CDs don't live forever.)
For anything before CD-ROM, google e.g. "Diskettenimages good old days" - I don't want to link to abondonware here, but there's a lot out there.

You could also apply a hybrid system and wait until someone buys one of the boxes at a fixed price which you set just a bit higher than you deemed borderline appropriate. Every time that happens you treat you spouse to dinner. Yes, there are games that will pull that kind of money.

I like jumpers.

Reply 4 of 8, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Meatball wrote on 2022-02-27, 02:58:

Collectors buy empty boxes, manuals, and inserts all of the time. If you can't keep them, at least sell them.

This right here please. As someone who loves big boxes it always makes me a bit sad to see loose jewel cases for games I'm looking for, another box that got thrown out along the way.

Could use an empty Red Alert 2 box myself, mine's seen better days.

Reply 5 of 8, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What attics are for

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 6 of 8, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sombrero wrote on 2022-02-27, 06:17:

As someone who loves big boxes it always makes me a bit sad to see loose jewel cases for games I'm looking for

Yep, that's a shame. Back then I didn't remotely have 139,95 for these things, Tie Fighter (floppy) being the only one I ever bought myself.
So, this is the only other big box I got for sentimental reasons, much later:

100_0438.JPG
Filename
100_0438.JPG
File size
392.75 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Meaning, if you really have to get rid of them, uhm, I'm up for Half-Life, UFO or DOOM, obviously 😀

I like jumpers.

Reply 8 of 8, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-02-27, 06:40:
Yep, that's a shame. Back then I didn't remotely have 139,95 for these things, Tie Fighter (floppy) being the only one I ever bo […]
Show full quote
Sombrero wrote on 2022-02-27, 06:17:

As someone who loves big boxes it always makes me a bit sad to see loose jewel cases for games I'm looking for

Yep, that's a shame. Back then I didn't remotely have 139,95 for these things, Tie Fighter (floppy) being the only one I ever bought myself.
So, this is the only other big box I got for sentimental reasons, much later:
100_0438.JPG

Meaning, if you really have to get rid of them, uhm, I'm up for Half-Life, UFO or DOOM, obviously 😀

Good picks, TIE Fighter and Master of Orion.

Very much in the same boat, I didn't even have a good gaming PC during the late 90's and none original boxed games, all pirate copies. The first big box game I bought was FreeSpace 2 sometime around 2008 or thereabouts when I by chance came across a new old stock copy. Still took another 10 years before I started collecting more of them for mostly sentimental reasons, kinda wish I hadn't taken that much time considering how ludicrously expensive some games got in the meantime 😐