VOGONS

First post, by athlon_p0wer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been trying to get Windows running on my K6-2 machine for ages now, and I've finally done it. Now I'm trying to get DOS games onto it, even though I have my 486 which is set up for DOS and DOS games. I love that machine to death, but even DOOM and similar games are not very smooth on it, let alone any games like Duke3D or Dark Forces.

The problem is that I can't run a DOS game in Windows, because the moment the game exits the system hard locks. This is far from the only problems this machine is giving me, but like with the 486 where I need to run certain applications a certain way, I imagine this is the same way. I just need to run my DOS programs in actual DOS mode, and so I'd like to have a startup menu set up so that I can choose to just start the machine in MS-DOS mode or boot Windows. I've done this once before on the 486, and it worked great- but I can no longer remember how to do it correctly. I used this post as a guide How to create a boot (start up) menu under Windows 9x/ME as well as this page http://www.math.utah.edu/~gustafso/menu95.txt, but it never quite worked. It would just continue to boot into Windows 95 even when I selected DOS mode on the menu. I made sure to set BOOTGUI to 0, and it still was giving me issues.

I'll likely make another post detailing the hardware issues this machine is throwing at me, but I think it started when I overclocked the motherboard from 66MHz up to 75MHz. Ever since then this machine has not been quite right.

System Specs:
PCChips M570 Motherboard (SiS 5591)
AMD K6-2+ 550MHz @ 400MHz, 66MHz FSB
64MB PC-100 @ PC-66 with lowest timings
Matrox Millenium 2MB PCI
Addonics Yamaha YMF-718 ISA
HP DVD200i
Seagate 4GB HDD
1.44MB FDD

Reply 1 of 4, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think the first step would be to post your autoexec.bat, config.sys and msdos.sys. Usually setting bootGUI=0 in msdos.sys will be enough to prevent win95 to load automatically.
My guesses for it not working for you would be:
1-Did you remove the read-only attribute on msdos.sys before changing? You might have saved the changes in a different file by mistake
2- Is there any “WIN” line in autoexec.bat? This will cause windows 95 to start, even if bootgui=0

Last edited by gaffa2002 on 2022-03-12, 22:56. Edited 1 time in total.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 2 of 4, by athlon_p0wer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gaffa2002 wrote on 2022-03-12, 20:24:
I think the first step would be to post your autoexec.bat, config.sys and msdos.sys. Usually setting bootGUI=0 in msdos.sys will […]
Show full quote

I think the first step would be to post your autoexec.bat, config.sys and msdos.sys. Usually setting bootGUI=0 in msdos.sys will be enough to preventing win95 to load automatically.
My guesses for it not working for you would be:
1-Did you remove the read-only attribute on msdos.sys before changing? You might have saved the changes in a different file by mistake
2- Is there any “WIN” line in autoexec.bat? This will cause windows 95 to start, even if bootgui=0

I did remove the read-only attribute on msdos.sys, but I didn't have WIN in autoexec.bat. I've cleared the autoexec.bat and config.sys files back to the system default, which was just the blaster variables in autoexec.bat.

Reply 3 of 4, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do you have any file in your root directory named WINBOOT.INI by any chance? This file overrides msdos.sys if present, so if you have this file you can either rename it or add bootgui=0 there.
If nothing else works, as a workaround, you may try pressing F8 as soon as you see the “Starting Windows 95” message. This will bring a menu, then you can select “Command prompt only” and go straight to DOS. You can also try step by step confirmation and go through autoexec.bat and config.sys line by line, maybe there is something which is starting windows or changing the value of bootgui for some reason?.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD