VOGONS

First post, by MrAvaronald

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everybody!

I'm new to this forum and quite a newbie when it comes to retro computers.

I don't know if I'm posting this to the right place, but I have a problem when trying to install old software (like Borland Sidekick, Managing Your Money etc.). Each time I run the installer it gives an error "Out of memory (b:\install.exe)". It's very hard to find manuals for these old programs. I have 8 mb of ram and using Ms-Dos 6.22 with Memmaker and free conventional memory 634 k, so there should be enough memory for any old software, so was wondering could it be that the old software can't handle so much memory?

One common feature with these problems is the floppy disk size (which is why I don't know if I'm posting this to the right place): I'm using Gotek floppy emulator and each of these problematic software are 720k images. I have formatted the disk as 720k in floppy emulator software, but in BIOS the drive size is 1,44 mb. If I change it to 720k the system hangs when I'm trying to access the emulator.

If anyone has an idea what the cause of the problem, I would be very obliged . 😀

A project is where the incapable are trying to make the reluctant do the impossible.